Ch 49: Emperor's Illness, Interrogation

Quote of the Day:

"He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever." -Confucius

**

Rong Yi begins, "In the Imperial Ceremony, it was subtle but I notice that my father, the Emperor, has begun showing strange and mild symptoms lately: abdominal pain and vomiting. It took quite the compensation but his personal servant informed me that the Emperor has watery diarrhea as well."

Yuan Zi Yan taps her chin and remarks, "Good that you kept in mind of the symptoms. What I am wondering is if the Emperor's symptoms are related to the symptoms caused by the poisonous mushrooms, should there be a small dosage."

Sir Xu's brows raise, "Zi Yan, are you implying that the person who killed Minister Kun is also plotting against the Emperor? That is a serious matter. Nine generations will be implicated if that is true."

General Li adds, "I agree. The eradication of a whole family line is nothing to jest with."

Rubbing his chin as he ponders, Scholar Li comments, "Miss Yuan is right on point. The symptoms of these kind of poisonous mushrooms initially resemble severe gut infection. If the victims survive this stage, they would appear to recover for a short period. But then suddenly, there would be liver failure, paired with loss of strength and appetite, tea color urine and yellow skin. Tenth Prince, please keep an eye out for the Emperor's condition and symptoms in the palace."

Rong Yi sighs, "I have to stay in the palace? How complicated and boring. But for my Zi Yan, I will push my boundaries."

Yuan Zi Yan laughs nervously and nods, "Is that so?"

"Tenth Prince," announces Sir Xu, "I need your presence in the Hua Hin Place Owner interrogation. You don't mind joining me, right?"

Rong Yi forcefully complies with the request.

General Li realizes something, "I was temporarily blinded by a type of powder that is found only in dongyin. Not only is the person behind the scenes intertwined with illegal opium exchange but illegal foreign transactions as well. That is a commitment of crime upon crime, doubly guilty."

The thought sinks into everyone's minds.

Scholar Li follows up by saying that he will conduct research about the symptoms deriving from a small dosage from the poisonous mushroom. By our next meeting in two days, he will have an answer.

When the meeting is about over, everyone begins to wrap up their things and decide what activities will take place in the next few days.

"Right Sir Xu," starts Scholar Li, "Isn't tomorrow your birthday? Will you be celebrating it?"

Yuan Zi Yan's expression brightens. It is as if she thinks of a brilliant idea.

The Co-Commander manifests into a cold expression, "I have not the time to celebrate it for quite a while now. Plus, the investigation will take place tomorrow."

Scholar Li shrugs, "I presume so." When the crowd sinks down, everyone returns back to their Manor. Two more days.

**

Next Day: Noon

WHIP!

The Hua Hin Place Inn owner grunts in pain. His arms are tied up against the wall, while the imperial guard Co-Commander is seated in front of him. There is only two other people within the interrogation cell.

The sound of chains echos across the space. The only thing lighting up the room is the seven torches hung against the walls.

"Are you going to reveal who is behind of all of this now?" Sir Xu inquiries, frowning.

The Hua Hin Place Owner smiles with exhaustion, his teeth displaying blood. "Why, Master Qiao.. or should I say Sir Xu, I don't know who is behind all of this. Even if I do, I won't tell you. I will die ten times worse if I expose anything."

"Oh?" Sir Xu raises his brows, "Rong Yi, come in."

Rong Yi approaches the interrogated man. He shows his jade pendant, "Familiar to you, Mister?"

The Hua Hin Inn owner gasps at the pendant, "A Prince?!"

Rong Yi nods arrogantly, "I can guarantee your survival." He takes out several pieces of gold ingots, "In fact, I will ensure you live a comfortable and luxurious life cast away from these politics.. if you tell us everything you know, that is."

He frowns, "Do you have the power to do so, Prince? I have never seen you before. How do you think you have the ability to—"

"Tsk, tsk," utters Rong Yi, "That is exactly where you are wrong. Think about it. No power? How do you think I have been able to avoid the politics and live a comfortable life despite being a Prince?"

The Tenth Prince twirls the ingots around his hands, "It's because I purposely wanted no power. Should I do anything, no one would expect that it was me who did it. Who would think the invisible and worthless Tenth Prince wreaked havoc? I can even move freely from the imperial palace around the city."

The owner gulps, "A-Alright. But you have to promise to send me off far away and thousands of gold."

Rong Yi sighs, "Yes, yes."

With apprehension, the owner begins, "The business is held between Minister Kun and me. We met up once every month in a restaurant near the border of Jiang Nan to discuss our business. When I learned that he was murdered, I was not surprised at all. The day before he was murdered, he and I had a meeting."

At this point, he is induling in the memory as if he is reliving it , "Coincidentally, a man who wore a black fox mask arrived to speak to the Minister. I was told to wait in another room. Things quickly became heated in their room; I heard shouting—but the shouting did not come from the Minister. It was from the masked man."

His eyes widen, expressing his paranoia: "It was then I knew.. The man was someone of a higher position than the Minister. It is not the Emperor; rather.." He glances towards Rong Yi, "It is one of you Princes who is behind all of this."

Xu Kai slams the table with his hand and commands, "Wu Lan Jun, note down everything he has said. Mister, you will be our evidence and victim. Sign off on everything you just said and you will be set free soon."