Chapter 20: William Shelley

Later on in the day, Mom and I go for a coffee in town, inviting May along with us. I've filled them both in about Lorrie's Dad, his garage, his cooking skills and their cute house. I also told Mom about Rita and her lung cancer, warning her not to mention anything tomorrow morning, when Lorrie comes over before school. It's fair to say that she's very excited to meet him. By very excited, I mean she can't sit still for the next hour.

We're currently sat in a chic coffee house, sipping on iced lattes, when Mom leans forwards and takes both of mine and May's hands in hers. Confused, we both glance at each other, meeting each other's questioning eyes.

"Okay girls so I have some news that I've been meaning to share with you for a few days now. I've been waiting for the right time to share it with you both, I feel like this is it." Mom begins, smilingly fondly at us.

My brain instantly goes into over-thinking mode. Is she pregnant? Is she dying? Are we moving again? Does she know about the Rose Street boys?

May must sense my sudden brain-freeze because she nudges me with her small foot, bringing me back to the situation.

"What's up Ms Fletcher?" May fills in. She sounds a little uncertain.

"Well girls, I've been in touch with Gen's Dad." Mom says, letting go of our hands. Oh no, that can't be good. "He's missing you and Maddie, it's been a good few months since he last came to visit. He thought it was time for a catch-up. Basically, he called up last week to ask me if you and Mads would fancy going to New York for the weekend-"

"What?" I ask, confused. "But Dad always comes to ours. He's never invited us to New York before. Like never."

"I know dear." Mom says sympathetically. "But he's very caught up at work at the moment so he can't get the time off to come over, especially now that we are in Arizona. Plus, now you can travel given your new treatment plan. I think it would mean a lot to him if you could go over to the east coast and see him for a change."

"Sorry to break up the moment, but why am I included in this?" May asks, still looking slightly confused.

"Because sweetheart, Gen's Dad has generously bought all of the plane tickets already. For next weekend." Next weekend? "And he's bought five tickets, in case you wanted to bring friends with you."

"Oh my goodness!" May squeaks. "Are you asking me if I want to go to New York with you next weekend?"

"Pretty much, yes." Mom laughs breezily, sitting back in her seat. "Gen? What are you thinking darling?"

"What am I thinking?" I say, more to myself than anyone else. "I don't really know what I'm thinking."

"Gen, it's New York City! The Big Apple! And we get to go together! What's not to love?" May raises her eyebrows and shakes my arm with excitement. My heart warms just watching her.

"We get to take three friends?" I ask Mom.

"Yep, Maddie is going to take Teddy. She said that you could take two friends, she was only interested in asking Teddy. So?" Mom raises her brows, mimicking May.

"This is just crazy." I say, leaning back and smiling. "So May and I are going to New York next weekend? Just like that?"

"Hell yeh, we are!" May squeals beside me, doing a little jig in her seat.

"But what about the last ticket?" I ask, my mind instantly flicking to Lorrie.

"Well, I was thinking... you could ask Lorrie?" Snap. "The pair of you seem to be getting a lot closer at the moment and I'm sure your Dad would love to meet him."