Epilogue

"We're just glad to have you back Genevieve." Dr Lea says, handing me three new bottles of my prescription. It's been two full weeks since our escape, and honestly... I've never felt better. "Please take it easy from now on though, the stress that you've been through hasn't done your body any good. You need to focus on relaxing and getting back to normal."

"Yes Doc." I say, jumping up from my chair and giving her a bright smile. Will things ever go back to normal? I don't think that she realises that this is my new normal. "I don't intend on running away again until next month. It's only fair that I let everyone recharge before I strike again."

"Well when you do, keep taking your drugs like you did this time." She rolls her eyes, dismissing my sarcasm.

"See you!" I muse, slipping through her office door with a wink.

In the past two weeks, everything has gone by pretty quickly. Junior year is coming to an end in the next few weeks and thankfully, none of us have to retake the year. Lorrie and the boys have slipped back into their usual routine, training and upholding the family business. But unlike a few weeks ago, they now seem to allocate time each week for family, to savour every moment with their loved ones, especially each other. Friday nights have now become the weekly Federico's night, so that all of us can spend time together and be teenagers, nothing more and nothing less. Seeing the boys act like boys is starting to melt my heart. At first I didn't realise how different the Shelley's and The Rose Street boys truly are. Sure, they all have their fancy guns, flashy vehicles, connections to higher authorities, safe houses and expensive technology, but what Rose Street has that the Shelley's were lacking is what makes Rose Street so undefeatable. Family. Talking about family... It's taken a lot of persuading and apologising to convince Mom to let me have my independence back. The first few days after I had returned home, I was kept on a strict house arrest, unable to go anywhere but the garden. After a while, Mom began to realise that this new lifestyle wasn't the healthiest, especially when my frequent visitors became increasingly adamant that I needed to get out and find my new normal again. The influx of Italian gangsters that kept mobbing the front door with flowers and chocolates became too much for her and eventually, she let me have my freedom, with the condition that I stay with Lorrie when I am out and return home by six o'clock at night. Slowly, but surely, she is becoming more lenient with me as I prove to her that I will never do something as reckless again. But it will take time, and I owe her that time. I owe her everything.

I make my way out of the clinic doors, taking in the humid gust of air that attacks me. It's weird to think that I used to live in Oklahoma, how long ago that feels. These days, I couldn't imagine living anywhere other than Phoenix. This is home. Glancing around the car park, I spot the black Chevy immediately and make my way over with a skip in my step.

"Still breathing?" Lorrie asks when I slide into the passenger seat.

"Only just." I reply, leaning over and giving him a peck on the cheek. Turning to face me, he suggestively lifts a sharp brow. "Don't look at me like that, we need to get home before everyone arrives."

"We can spare five minutes." He teases as his green eyes drift down to my lips.

"Lorrie." I protest, pointedly looking at the steering wheel. "Now is not the time to be angering my Mom."

"Hmm..." he seems to consider this for a moment, weighing up our punishment for being late. "No, you're right. You definitely get your scariness from your Mom."

With that, he starts up the engine and pulls out of the parking space, one hand resting on my thigh.