IX | "The family business,"

Melody

"It's never me," I say, leaning back against the couch, "they never choose me, do-do I do something wrong?" I was asking more so myself than the person beside me.

"No one ever chooses me," I repeat, "mum and Tyler left, because- honestly who knows with them. Dad choose his job to escape, he hardly comes home, and now," I didn't even bother finishing the sentence.

"He promised, he'll be back," Joe comments, I don't turn to look at him, but if I had to guess he's probably looking at me with a look of pity.

My eyes glued on the ceiling I continue, "it's been 6 months and not even a peek from him, it's almost like my time with Cayden was just my imagination. Maybe, my loneliness finally got to me and I imagined myself, one crazy family,"

I hear Joe huff from beside me, "you're crazy, but I don't think you've lost your mind yet. And he did say he chooses you, you just need to wait but if you don't want to, you don't have to, you're allowed to move on,"

I nod, "yeah, but I don't want to just yet," I'm gonna hold onto the idea of home just a little longer.

.

.

"Cayden get off, I'm hot," I said, trying to shake off a very sleepy Cayden of me, he was also sleeping on my hair, one wrong move and it's over.

"Damn right you are," he mumbled, his voice deep with sleep, but he doesn't move his face from my neck, instead just tightened his arms around me.

"Cayden," I warned, he grumbled but still gets off me and back onto his own pillows, finally allowing me to move my hair out the way, instead of getting up I smile and jump forward to wrap my arms around Caydens back.

"Oh, now she wants to cuddle," he mumbled, causing me to smile.

I slowly woke up, my hands hovering over the cold and empty right side, sighing heavily I got up to start my day l, falling back into my old repetitive routine.

Waking up alone, having breakfast alone, going to work and coming back to an empty house, eating alone and going to bed alone. The difference this time was that memories of Cayden clung to each step. I had unconsciously found myself cooking for two, announcing my presence when I got home or just seeking out Cayden.

After finishing up my routine and practising my smile in the mirror, I head out.

Upon arriving to work I was greeted by the usual face and the only sign of Cayden I got,

"Hey, Lucas," I smile. He turned up 3 months after Cayden left, saying he made his choice and wants to start new, apparently Cayden had spoken to him and cleared a lot of things out. He also was the only way I knew that Cayden was still alive, keeping me updating as to where he was.

He smiles back, holding his hand up, "morning. Someone called in and we've got a big order, Lauren's in the back already starting,"

I nod, thanking him and joining Lauren in the back after putting my stuff away.

"Geez, that's a lot, are they planning on opening a bakery or something," I comment once I notice the order, closing today and just focusing on this order won't even affect the business, in fact, it'd make more for the day.

The boxes kept piling the corner as we juggled the order and regular customers, who even orders this much?

Lucas pops his head into the back to inform us, "guys, the customer called, said he'd be here in an hour to pick up the order,"