january

ONE should never, ever, watch their favorite movie with their significant other.

Scrolling down the Netflix homepage, Caia's fingers pause over the mouse as the pointer lands on the teenage rom-com—allowing herself to watch the small teaser-trailer being played beneath it. Allowing herself to sense that ache: the one pressing down hard on her chest, filling her body until it fits into every crevice and crack.

Suddenly, it's spring again; Townes's black curls sprawl across the front of Caia's shirt as she uses the girl as a pillow. They smile as they watch Heath Ledger prance around the bleachers, making quite the performance out of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You'. Townes—who's never seen the film before—sings along under her breath, so far off pitch Caia has to suppress a soft chuckle. She bites back a joke about how it doesn't even sound like the same song.

Then, tipping her head forward—dark blonde hair falling into her girlfriend's brown eyes—she presses a kiss to Townes's forehead, bringing one of those full grins out of the girl. And Caia—crooked teeth and all—smiles as well.

But it's not spring. It's winter. Caia continues to scroll down the page; Townes is nothing but a once upon a time.