december

ONLY days away from the holidays, the streets of Acebridge are bustling with life.

With everyone out on a hunt for those last minute Christmas gifts, there's barely any room left to breathe.

As she watches the chaos enfold—children wailing in their strollers, shoppers' arms adorned with more paper totes than should be possible to carry—Caia couldn't be happier about her family's 'one-gift-maybe-two per person arrangement'. It had been the closest she'd come to convince them of a zero-waste Christmas, but she'll take the win.

She passes by Beans & Bagels on Main Street on her way to the park where she's meeting up with her mother; through the glass windows she sees the line whirl through the entire shop, coats thrown over back of chairs and baristas working at full-speed.

The streets are cold, but the shops are cranked up with heat. No one can win in the race that is Christmas shopping.

She's just about to turn the corner by the town's bookstore as something catches her eye.

No. Not something. Someone.

It's the first time she's seen her since they both left town—Caia for University, Townes to travel. South America, Caia had found out through Gabriel over the phone. And then, around the same time she returned to Acebridge for Thanksgiving, she'd seen a photo of Townes atop Machu Picchu.

Townes halts in her tracks as well, profusely apologizing to the older woman running into her from behind before she wraps her arms around herself, lips twisting into a faint smile.

Caia braces herself for the pain. Braces herself for the sensation of her throat closing up, of her chest growing smaller—pressing down on her heart. Of running warm and cold at once. Of her heartbeat quickening only to slow down into a full stop. But nothing happens.

Enveloped in a serene sense of calm, she meets Townes's brown gaze across the crowd, lips slipping into a small smile.

She lifts her hand in a shy wave. Townes mirrors her motion.

And then, they're back to being on their separate paths.

An odd sensation runs through Caia as she continues down the next street, a heavy sense of relief having her brows etch together and then smooth back out.

She lets out a small breath, smile widening.

She misses Townes at times. She misses what they had.

But she doesn't necessarily want it back; it's the best she's ever felt in a long while.

━ ♡♡♡ ━

thank you, the end.