BOYFRIEND

I IMMEDIATELY tell you to leave, the venom in my words unnatural.

"Joe, I'm sorry, but I need to go."

You don't give up easily. "That's cool, where are we going?"

Each words is a knife. "I need to leave, I'll see you...whenever."

That's when you grab my wrist, and I can't help but imagine you hitting me next. Past experiences. I wince in preparation.

You're staring at me in desperation. "Brit, you're kidding me, right?"

"No, Joe." I rip away from his grip and rub where your hands were, still warm. "I'm not. Get the fuck away from me."

Your face is contoured with a mixture of powerful emotions, animated with underlying fire and a racing heart. Sadness, hatred, all the feelings I never wanted you to feel, all directed at me.

I blink tears, try to swallow the lump in my throat and hold it down with a clenched jaw. You step away from me and with lips slightly parted, scan me over.

You whisper, "Who was that on the phone?"

I swipe my wrist under my eyes and walk to the threshold, gripping the doorknob with what feels like enough strength to leave finger-shaped dents. My voice is a breath, if I spoke louder my words would surely crack. "My boyfriend."

I leave you stunned.

a/n

Holy shit, 80K? I know this chapter is short, but it's just to get your attention.

HIM will continue updates shortly.