27 ' love

"Happy Birthday Emi!" That's the first thing she wakes up to. A flood of messages from her classmates and friends, even from lowerclassmen she chats with sometimes. After a scroll through her notifications, she scrolls up and down again, searching for Sakusa's name to pop up. But sadly, to her avail, nothing from him.

She spends the next fifteen minutes replying to each and every message, plus those in her twitter feed. As expected, Yume and Jiro spammed her notifications with pictures of them. The not so flattering ones, the type of pictures she'd not want her agency to see.

Afterwards, it's time to prepare for her date with her boyfriend, Sakusa, who unbelievably thought it was okay not to greet her online since he'd meet her later on.

She walks out of her room to go to the bathroom and sees a note from her sister on the dining table.

Happy Birthday, Emi. I
baked you a small cake
and made some sand-
wiches. It's in the fridge.
Share it with Yume-chan
and Jiro-kun. And maybe
with your curly haired
boy too.

Love, Eika.

"My curly haired boy? Is she, wait, does she know about Omi?" she mumbles and checks the fridge.

After her morning routine, she puts on a plaid mini-dress, nothing too fancy, she says. She grabs two slices of cake from the fridge and prepares her bag. "Phone, wallet, lip gloss, and, oh."

With her belongings ready, she's good to go. She texts Sakusa that she's already on her way, which he replies to with an, "Ok. Take care."

He knows that her house is a little far from his but either way, prepares already. It's still a strict rule that no one is allowed to eat inside his room so to make up for it, he has something in mind.

Minutes later, the bus reaches her stop, which is usually a two minute walk to his home. Eager to see him, she wastes no time and heads straight there.

Emimimi: I'm near! <3 Did you miss me, Omi?

Sakusa_Kiyoomi: I saw you yesterday.

Emimimi: I missed you too <3

Emimimi: Open up Omi <3333 I'm here

"Oh," he mouths upon reading her message. "She could've just knocked," he sighs and walks to the front door.

He turns the knob and opens the door for her. "I missed you Omi!" she exclaims as soon as her eyes met his.

"Happy Birthday, Emi," he greets with a subtle smile.

"Thank you!"

"Come in," he tells her and swings the door to make way.

He looks at her from head to toe, observing how well her outfit suits her. And how short it is.

"You like it?" she asks boldly while taking off her shoes.

"It suits you," he answers, surprisingly still staring at her thighs.

"Thanks, you're awfully nice today," she teases and lets herself in. He closes the door and holds her hand to lead her to the dining room, forgetting that she hasn't sanitized yet.

It takes her by surprise and she simply follows. "Omi?" she mumbles his name.

"Happy Birthday," he repeats as soon as they enter the dining room. In front of her is a birthday cake with a lit candle and icing message on top.

happy birthday, love

"L-Love!" she gasps, completely clueless with how she's going to react to something so sweet yet so strange. It's Sakusa after all.

"Well? Go on," he says, expecting her to know what she's supposed to do. Make a wish and blow the candle, right?

"A-Ah, right, right," she agrees and nods. "Thank you Omi, I love you!" she exclaims, despite him being only less than a meter away.

"What?" he mutters inaudibly.

"I get it, from now on, I'll call you that too!" she promises, "L-Love," she stammers their new endearment.

"Huh," he mouths, confused.

"I wish, I wish we'll always be together," she blurts out her wish, then crouches down to blow the candle.

"Oh, can I have a follow-up wish? I wish my love could just directly tell me cheesy stuff. Like what he wants to be called," she adds and smiles at the cake.

Another complete misunderstanding, just like what happened in the aquarium. The thing with the couple bracelets. But just like before, he's too indulged in the way she smiles and giggles to even think of correcting her.

Maybe he does want to be called love every once in a while. Except that this is Amari and he's in desperate denial that she won't keep calling him that in public.

"Let's eat?" she asks and looks at him, strangely spacing out. Now that's rare.

"Omi? Love?" she repeats.

"Oh, what?" He snaps out of it.

"Let's eat? I said," she answers and points at the cake.

"Yeah, sure, okay," he agrees and heads to the basin to wash his hands. She follows him to do the same too. This hand-washing before almost literally anything is already a ritual for the two.

"Since we can't eat in your room, is the living room okay? Can we eat there?" she asks and grabs a handkerchief to dry her hands. It's one of his.

"Oh. Eating there," he mutters in a gloomy voice. In this house, he has never eaten outside the four walls of the dining room. Not ever.

"And then, let's clean afterwards. Like, the entire living room if you're that worried about crumbs and insects."

"Insects, disgusting." The mere word is almost enough to make him nauseous.

"Well? Can we? After we eat and watch, it'll be like a cleaning date, if that made sense," she convinces him.

That kind of date? Where Sakusa maintains the cleanliness and order of the house with his girlfriend? He's absolutely up for it. No doubt.