FIVE

Are you liking the story so far? Leave a comment so I know if I should continue or let the story go. 

FIVE

Lothbrok

We would be home within the day. I could almost smell the breezes of Kattegat. The scent of wood and grass and ocean, all mingling into a sweet smell matched by nothing else. I couldn't wait to step foot on the dock, to see my people, my children and yes, even my wife.

With that thought, my eyes shifted towards the girl, Agnessa. Her body was curled into a tight ball against the side of the ship. The last few nights had been chilly, but not enough to warrant using the tents. The brisk wind propelled us forward, cutting off almost an entire day of travel. But seeing her shiver, watching her little body vibrate from the cold, made me reconsider.

"Rollo." I called with a wary glance to the setting sun. "Ready the tents." My brother nodded and did not question the order, which told me most of the men were probably hoping for this.

Once the giant tarps were securely in place, my men began to huddle together for warmth. With the "ceiling" trapping the heat, the cold air outside would be bearable. My new wife watched as the hulking men pushed closer and closer to her. I could see the uncertainty fill her dark eyes. Part of me, a very cruel part, wanted to let it happen. I wanted to see how she'd react to them. Would she fight them? Push them away? Or would she stay silent and submissive?

Her hand slid down towards her feet and my mind conjured up an image of the small blade from our wedding night. I had given it back to her, and if she was smart, she had held onto it. Oh yes, she would fight them.

With a triumphant grin, I swiftly stepped between her and my brother, the only man within her reach at the moment. She froze and glared up at me.

"Give it to me." I held my hand out. From the side, I could see Rollo glance over at us quizzically.

"What?" she said so innocently that I almost believed her.

"The knife." I nodded down towards her boots where the weapon must have been tucked away. "You have no need for it here."

"I don't have a knife." she crossed her arms over her chest. I let out a long breath as I took her in, even though she refused to look at me.

"I know," I began as I lowered myself down into a crouch. "That you still have your little blade hidden somewhere. Should I search you myself?" I raised my eyebrows, knowing the implication would make her uncomfortable.

Her eyes narrowed and those pink lips flattened into a thin line. But nonetheless, she buried her hand beneath her skirt and produced the same small blade she'd held to my neck just days before. I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face. My hand shot out and covered hers while I wrestled the knife from her grip. But even when I had secured in my own hand, I held her wrist and yanked her body forward. I let my forehead lean against hers, a daring act considering she could easily pull back and headbutt me at any second. But I didn't think she would.

I rested there for a moment, feeling the heat from her head rush over me and relaxed my grip on her arm.

"Do you see how easy it is for me?" I whispered so she was the only one who could hear. Although no one else aboard the ship, besides Athelstan, could understand me anyway. "How easy it is for me to move you? To take you?" I knew I was getting the reaction I wanted when she began to pull herself away with no success. "If I wanted to hurt you princess, I would have. And I would have let my men have a turn after."