SIX

SIX

Ealhunding

On the horizon I could make out the smokey silhouettes of mountains and hills. The image was quite beautiful, even if it was a little daunting. This was to be my new home.

No. Home isn't so much a place as it is a feeling. And being among these people certainly did not feel like home to me. Though I had made it through the entire trip unscathed, I knew that being ashore would hold new risks. New people, new men, new opportunities to be harassed and abused. The thought made my stomach ache.

As the city, if it could be called that, came into view, I felt the atmosphere on the ship charge with excitement. The men's voices raised in pitch and volume, their bodies practically vibrating with anticipation.

They were home.

Crudely constructed buildings began to take shape along the cost and tiny specks moved in chaotic rhythms near the dock. Those specks grew into people as we sailed closer and closer. Ragnar was the first to jump from the ship before we even made port. He waded through the water to embrace one of the men on the shoreline. Curiously, I watched the encounter until a strong hand hauled me up from my seat on the floor.

Yanking my arm away, I looked up to find Rollo with a smile spread across his lips. Even the most brooding of Vikings was happy today. To my surprise, he didn't grab me again. Instead, he nudged me towards the side of the ship. I hesitated, debating the best method to climb out without tangling my skirt and meeting the dock with my face.

Rollo jumped the side with ease, and turned back to me. Without warning, he shoved his massive hands under my arms and lifted me  like a child over the side of the ship. He set me down on the dock, but his hands remained on my sides until I shook him away.

Then he was gone.

Just like that, I was left alone  while the members of Ragnar's raiding party were greeted by friends and family all around me. Briefly, a troubling image of me flying off the end of the wooden dock raced across my mind. I would drown before anyone would even notice I had disappeared. Since I couldn't swim, I assumed I would sink quickly. Drowning must be a more peaceful way to go than anything the vikings could plan for me. A cool, weightless death. But I pushed the thought away when Rollo reappeared in front of me, a thick length of rope in his hand.

My mouth hung slack as he intricately tied the rope around my wrists, ensuring I had no way to wiggle free. I was reminded of his strength when I failed to wrestle my hands away from him. Moisture began to collect behind my eyes. So this was to be my new life, leashed like a wild animal? Rollo tested the ropes and nodded in approval at his own work before taking the end and leading me to the shore My eyes searched around for... I didn't know what. A weapon? An escape? But even if I could get away from Rollo, where would I go?

I was in a strange land, with even stranger people. I knew nothing of this place or the woods surrounding it. I knew nothing of survival outside of the castle. My chin dropped to my chest in defeat. I could do nothing at the moment.

I would have to wait for the right opportunity.

As Rollo led me through their city I kept my eyes on the well trodden ground beneath my feet. Recent rain had turned it into a river of mud. From what I could see, the houses themselves, while plain, seemed sturdy and well built. Many had small gates off to the side that housed an array of livestock. Goats, pigs, chickens, all happily eating and rolling in the mud. The poor creatures had no idea what truly awaited them in this place.

And neither did I.

A familiar voice rang out from behind us and Rollo stopped walking. Athelstan jogged to catch up to us, all while communicating with Rollo in their unusual language. My eyes flicked back and forth as the two men conversed in a seemingly begrudging manner.