Day 45: Stealing Bundles

DAY 45: STEALING BUNDLES

"Wait, let me get this straight. You're seriously telling me money grows on trees here?"

Ro heaves another disconcerted sigh. Considering it's only noon and they've got time to kill until their arrival in Straeh, it's left Leda the opportunity to barrage them with relentless questions.

        "No world is that simple," Ro says. Propped against the railings of the ship, the warm blue sky and sea complement him, adding to his princely air. If only he wiped that trademark frown of his; the scenery would surely suit him more.

        "Every kingdom has a tree bank where money is both processed and sent throughout the the land and exchanged between its citizens." Leda follows the voice back to Nixon who comes striding from the door leading to the kitchen. Ro isn't the least bit favourable at his arrival, but Nixon performs a polite bow then points his toes in Leda's direction. "But if you're discussing the economy, each land varies in their income."

       When a copper coin spins through the air, she barely reacts in time to catch it. Startled, she stares down at the thick metal and symbol smack dab in the middle. A raven in the shape of a spade. The symbol of the royal family.

       "So the currency is distinguishable depending on the symbol?" she realizes. "Straeh has a heart, Revolc a club, and Dia, a diamond."

       Nixon smiles as he glances at Ro. "You caught yourself quite the intelligent Human. She's quick on the uptake."

        "What is our progress?" Ro leans over the railing, out into the open sea they're steadily moving across, ripples crisscrossing before fading into the distance. "Should you really not be at the helm?"

        Nixon laughs. "Have a little more faith in my navigation skills, Your Highness."

        "If you had a flawless sea chart like Marci I possibly would," he says. "We need to get to Straeh as swiftly as we can. I can't have any means of error stopping me from accomplishing my duty to my people."

As soon words pool from Ro's mouth, a strangled cough follows. Leda's heart rises to her throat in her next heartbeat and Nixon is at his side in less than that.

"We'll arrive at Pashee by noon tomorrow," he whispers. "You've done enough. You need to rest, Your Highness."

Ro waves him off as he gasps a rather shaky breath. Hunching over the slightest, he places his palm to his chest, inhaling and exhaling heavily. Once he stabilizes his breathing, he straightens himself out and talks again. But this time, there's no mistaking the fragility of his tone. "I am fine."

Nixon reluctantly retreats. "Still..."

"You need to take better care of yourself."

Not taking Leda's interjection to be favourable, Ro jerks his head to her. A frown tilts his lips as he shifts. "Like I have stated, I am fine. Worry more about yourself."