Day 42-3: Palace

DAY 42-3: PALACE

   Orian blinks.

   "The palace?" he asks. "Us, too?"

   "But of course," Avel responds. "You are to come as my guests. This little lodge in the middle of nowhere will do nothing. If we want to keep your friend alive for as long as possible, we must take him to a proper emergency room for treatment."

   "And where is this... palace?" Leda inquires.

   "In our capital city, Amore. It's rather far-off from here, actually, so we must depart soon."

   "And we're supposed to get there in time for tomorrow?" Orian says in disbelief.

   Avel chuckles. Leda pats a bewildered Orian's shoulder.

   "They're wizards, Orian. I'm sure he can... transport us there."

   Avel summons a smile, proving her hunch correct. "Transportation is the least of our worries here in Straeh. It's rather unfortunate the other kingdoms aren't as lucky."

   "Is... that so?" Orian murmurs.

   "Though," Avel continues, "unlike us who rely strictly on our levitation magic, I've heard Monds are graced with the power to use portals whenever they'd like. So transportation shouldn't be an issue for you either."

   Orian dodges his eyes. "Our... abilities come with limitations."

   Avel blinks. But Leda leaps in front of him before he can converse more.

   "So how are we getting Ro there?"

   He cracks a hopeless sigh. "It's always about this friend of yours isn't it?"

   "As it should be," she responds, pointedly. "We deal with him first. You promised."

   "Indeed," he relents. "Then the world will be ours."

   Avel beckons them inside the room Ro's inside. Leda faces Orian before they pursue him.

   "You have to save me from this madness," she whispers.

   Orian feigns a smile. "You are very good at persuasion, Master."

   "And charming prince quacks," she bitterly adds.

   When they're inside, Avel's eyes flitter to the foot of Ro's bed. Grabbing spare blankets and comforters from the nearby closet, he tosses them on top of him, tucking him in as firmly as he can. Once assured he's shielded by enough layers, Avel retreats, and in only an instant, the entire bed floats. Leda and Orian's jaws drop as a results. Unbothered by their shock, he clambers onto the adjacent bed and quizzically peers at them.

   "What are you waiting for? Hop on."

   Leda can barely suppress her awe. "O-on, as in..."

   "I'll fly us to the palace like this," he replies between blinks. "Unfortunately, Hearts are only capable of levitation of simple objects. I can't take us to the palace instantly. However, with this method we should cut our travel time in half."