45. FRIENDS

Viola smirked, in spite of herself. She hadn't expected Damien Pierce to take her to Doña Bella, one of her favorite restaurants. Anyone in her shoes would have been flattered to be sitting where she was, and Doña Bella never seemed to disappoint when it came to class. It was an artsy, European styled restaurant filled with people of status and dignitary, enjoying their tasty meals. "This is pretty grand for an apology. Too bad you're a week late."

"Yeah, I know your birthday's over a week ago and it seems too late to apologize for missing your party. But I remembered how much you liked Doña Bella, so I decided to surprise you with this." His fingers raked through his lustrous black hair, wearing a bashful smile that bought a touch of innocence to his face. No one questioned the sight of two teenagers sitting at the five-star establishment. All that mattered were the expensive outfits on their bodies and Damien's credit card that could never max out, no matter the price of food.

A part of her felt giddy at his sweet action but she cloaked her excitement with a halfhearted shrug. The bored look in her sable eyes seemed to surprise him. "It's a little too late for that but I will eat whatever you buy. I'm too hungry to complain."

The dimly lit cinnamon scented candles around their table aided the romantic setting Viola had hoped to enjoy with Damien. He smirked at her, letting his alluring blue eyes twinkle. A motion that sent her heart pounding. "Sure. Whatever you say, Vi."

A waiter was there to take their order. Viola made her choice without hesitation. Nothing tasted better than pumpkin ravioli with bleu cheese on a Sunday night and Damien Pierce seemed to agree with her pick, ordering the same.

The moment felt perfect while they ate in silence. Violin music played in the background and Damien leaned closer, breaking the ice. "I heard you're now getting along with mi Be--sorry, I mean Callie."

Viola pushed back her plate. Anger rose in her like a tide rushing through her veins. "Why can't we have one moment without you talking about your obsession with her?"

"Obsession?" He blinked. The corners of his lips twisted. "I'm not obsessed with Callie. I actually love her."

Viola rolled her eyes. "Please. What do you know about love? You wouldn't even know what it was even if it hit you on the head wrapped in a wad of cash."

A flicker of irritation crossed his face. His fists balled. "Are you kidding me? I have worked hard to get her attention aIl—"

"Get her attention? She's not a dog. You know, I actually like her now and I find your whole affection to be problematic."

He barked a laugh. The rich, gruff rumble caught the attention of a few customers who cast glances at him without giving away anything but the quick judgemental looks in their eyes. "You like her now? After everything you've done to her, now you're a saint? I love you, Vi but you're so inconsistent."

Viola felt offended by what he said. Callie wasn't half as bad as she thought and Damien's feelings were turning into an obsession. She just wanted to do one thing right for once. "Not to burst your bubble but Callie doesn't want you. In fact she has someone she cares about. Let that sink in, Damien."

His gaze held hers in a steely grip, the frightening look seized Viola's thoughts. "You don't know what you're saying."

Viola knew she should have stopped there. A simple apology would simmer his rage but Viola was done putting up with his bad behavior. She had defended him for too long, accepting his past as an excuse for his flaws. But Viola didn't want to be a part of that anymore. "I'm sure you know she doesn't give a shit about you, just the exact same way you don't care about me."

With a clenched jaw, he spoke without emotion. "What are you saying—"

"How long, Damien?" Viola drew out a quick breath and choked back a sob. She'd rather die than cry in front of him. Viola Fawn Tyson-Pierce never cried. Even if it broke her. "How long have you known about my feelings for you? I'm sure you're not stupid enough not to have noticed."