08 Run*

The eastern sector is closest to our main village. It borders Red Rivers pack who are our allies so it's the safest place to be, aside from the pack house that is. I love making these runs. Honestly, I think the leaders of the sectors like me better than the people I'm with every day.

"Brayden!" Blake the leader in the eastern sector calls as I approach. I set the package down, shift, and dress. Picking up the gift I walk up to him.

"Hey, Blake." I greet him.

"What brings ya here, pup?" He asks messing up my hair. I swat his hand away and he laughs.

"Your boy had a pup. I thought you would have known that!" I tease him. He sighs.

"Yeah... the boy's barely 18! As soon as he found his mate he had a pup... no patience that boy!" He says and I laugh.

"Alright, grandpa! I got a gift from the Alpha, so where are the new parents?" I ask.

"Hey! I'm too young to be a grandpa!" He groans. As we walk toward Billy's house.

"And yet here we are!" I laugh.

"No! I'm not a grandpa... it's Pop-pop." He corrects me.

"Awww... now that's cute! Lil' Pop-pop." I say.

"You can't call me little, Brayden. I'm still your elder and I got at least a foot on you." He says. I keep laughing.

"But it's sooo cute!" I respond as we reach the house.

"Yeah, yeah," Blake says as we enter his son's home.

"Surprise!" I whisper-yell into the house so as to not potentially wake a sleeping infant.

"Brayden!" Abigail squeals running up to us with a bundle in her arms.

"Wow!" I say looking at the chubby cheeks peeking from the blanket. "How old is he?"

"One week." She smiles handing him to me. I pass off the package to Blake to take the sleeping child.

"He's so lucky..." I mumble. "You guys will be great parents."

"Alright! Pop-pop's turn!" Blake says swapping the baby for the package.

"A gift from Alpha Aaron," I say handing Abigail the package as Billy enters.

"I thought I heard an annoying pup in my house!" He says hugging me.

"Whatever! Open the present jerk!" I respond, pushing him away. He laughs wrapping his arms around his mate. Together they open the package.

"It's beautiful!" Abigail squeaks holding the soft material.

"Make sure to thank the Alpha for us," Billy tells me and I nod.

"Stay for dinner?" Abigail asks as she wraps her now awake son in his new blanket.

"Can't... I'm kinda on thin ice as it is and Clay told me to be back before dinner." I answer.

"What'd you do now?" She asks in a moderately scolding tone.

"I might have caused the school to be flooded due to the fire suppression system," I respond.

"You set the school on fire!" Billy asks in awe.

"No... but they should get one that senses fire rather than one triggered by pulling the alarm," I say.

"Get home Brayden." He says laughing "before you get in more trouble... thanks again for the gift."

"No problem, Billy... I love visiting you guys." I tell him.

"And we love having ya. Now get!" He chuckles pushing me towards the door. I laugh.

"Bye, everyone!" I call running out the door. I quickly shift and make my way home.

Clay knows how to cheer me up. I love these trips no matter how short.

When I get back dinner is about halfway over. I stumble into the dining hall and make a plate. When I sit next to Ari I am panting from my run.

"You're late." He says.

"Sorry, Ari... I was running an errand for Clay." I tell him.

"All good... remember 3 AM. I want you up and ready to start the day." Ari responds.

"Yeah, I know... do you always start your days that early or is this special for me?" I ask and he laughs.

"Always... good way to keep your wolf in check... me and Clay run together every morning." He answers.

"Wow... didn't know that," I say.

"Alright off to bed, pup," Ari says.

"Hey, Ari." I start getting a hmm in response as he turns to me. "Do you think I could move into the pack house? I know most are at least 16 when they do but I was thinking with you out a lot I would have more people around if I lived here... it'd be less lonely... and I'd be closer to you when you're working... I know you want me to wait till I'm older to do stuff... you want me to be a kid but I think it would be a good thing!.. I mean it could..."

"Brayden!" He chuckles. "I think it's a good idea. A balance between adult and pup... maybe you'll quit hounding me about going on patrol?... we'll move you in tomorrow."

"Thanks, Ari... but I still want to go on patrol," I say hugging him.

"16." Is his short reply.

"I know, I know!" I groan then run home and flop onto my bed.

Maybe Ari will stop treating me like a kid. I'm not a pup anymore. I'm a man and I need to prove that to him.

°•°•°•°•°

"Up and at um!" Ari yells removing my covers.

"5 more minutes!" I yell putting my pillow over my head.

"I told you to be ready at 3 and it is 3:05 you have 5 minutes to be ready and downstairs or you're running in your boxers." He tells me and leaves. I groan as I get up and pull on some shorts and a T-shirt.

"Come on Bray, Clay's here!" He calls from downstairs. I stumble down to them yawning. Clay laughs.

"I don't think I've ever seen you without product in your hair, pup! And you're not matching! The horror!" They both laugh as they push me outside.

"Don't push me, Beta! I'm not awake and therefore not in control of my actions." I growl at him and he tousles my hair.

"Good luck, pup. You know I can still take you." Clay laughs.

"Alright let's go boys," Ari says as he takes off running.

"Keep up Brayden!" Ari yells after about 10 miles!

"I can't Ari! I'm done!" I gasp out as I stop to catch my breath.

"Nope, we need to get back, come on! It's only about 5 more miles and we'll be back at the pack house." He says prompting me forward.

I begrudgingly get moving again and miraculously we make it back.

"I got a couple of hours free this afternoon and we'll get you moved in... go home and shower Brey. You stink!" He holds his nose as he walks away.

"You don't exactly smell like a fresh meadow either Ari!" I yell after him and he laughs.

"Sooo tired," I mumble as I enter my room in Ari's house. I flop on the bed not caring about my sweat-soaked body. Sleep quickly takes me and I am greeted with darkness.