12 Moon Lake Pack*

It looks the same. The Alpha house. Where I had a childhood, a family.

I slowly reach for the handle. This is harder than I thought it would be. As I open the door, I hear it creak like it hasn't been opened in years. Which it probably hasn't.

The living room looks the same. A few toys I never put away are thrown on the carpet. Momma would have had my head for that. She was always making sure we picked up after ourselves. I lean over and take the Spiderman figure in my hand.

"Better late than never." I mumble as I head up the stairs to my room.

I toss the toy in my toy box and flop onto the twin sized bed.

"Laces, momma!"

How could things have been different if I could have tied my shoes. We would have been out earlier. Maybe they would still be alive.

"Not this again! You know that's not true, human!" My wolf argues.

"It's hard to not think about." I tell him. Something so small could have saved my momma and Bella.

I stand up and walk across the hall. Pink. Pink walls. Pink curtains. Pink toy box. Isabella was the epitome of a girl. I can still smell her in this room, but I'm not sure if that is real or a psychological effect of missing my baby sister. I see a small locket on her bedside table and take it.

Inside is a picture of Momma and Daddy on one side and Bella and I on the other. My family. I slide the child sized necklace into my pocket and head to the master bedroom.

Inside the closet, I pull out the book momma worked so hard on. The first page is her and Daddy before I was born. Their mates ceremony comes next. Then, a pregnant momma. A newborn me. My first birthday. Newborn Bella. All the way up to a family portrait taken a couple of months before the attack. I was throwing a fit because she made me wear a suit and I hated the goop in my hair... It's funny considering I gel my hair every day now. My little eyes are slightly red, and the smile is forced. Bella looks like a princess. My parents look so in love.

"Brayden?" A voice brings me to the present. I wipe my cheeks that I suddenly realize are wet with tears.

"Yeah." I respond, turning to the doorway.

"Come on, it's time for dinner." EV tells me.

"What time is it? I've been here all day?" I ask.

"You have... come here, pup." She says, wrapping an arm around me.

"Do you think I can take this?" I ask, holding up the photo album.

"Rich said everything in here is yours. I think you should keep it." EV tells me, and I nod.

On our way to the dining hall, we bump into a couple.

"Sorry." I say as I step back from the woman I bumped into.

"Little Brayden!" She squeals, and I look her in the face.

"Miss Tessa?" I ask, stunned. "I thought you were... you weren't with the adults after... Ari said all the adults were there."

"I was watching the pups. I'm alive and I met my mate. This is Charlie. He is a warrior from Midnight Moon." Miss Tessa says, locking arms with her mate.

"Nice to meet you, Charlie. Do you plan on taking Miss Tessa back to Midnight Moon?" I ask.

"I don't believe that's your business, pup." The man responds.

"I'm Alpha of this pack, and Miss Tessa means a lot to me. I just want to know what to expect." I say.

"I've been her mate longer than you've been around her. It is our decision where we stay once my job here is done." Charlie growls. For some reason, I think he doesn't like me.

"Agreed." I tell him, and he seems to relax. "I was not challenging your bond. I was merely offering for you two to stay here. I'd hate to lose Miss Tessa, and if Ari sent you, you must be an accomplished warrior. Just think about it." He nods, and we all head into the dining hall.

"Little Alpha Brayden." EV chuckles in my ear.

°•°•°•°•°•°•

"One more thing before you leave." Mr. Richard stops me as I am walking to the car after an amazing week at my pack.

"Yes, sir." I respond, turning to him.

"It was your father's." He tells me as he drops a piece of metal in my hand.

I look at it and smile. It is my daddy's family ring. A red stone is in the middle with our family name and pack name engraved into the band. Intricate wolf designs surround the stone. It is amazing.

"Thank you so much." I say hugging the old man.

"No, thank you." He responds.

"For what?" I ask.

"For being our Alpha. For training hard. For caring about us. You are an amazing pup and will be a wonderful Alpha." He tells me, and I hug him again.

"I'll do my best, sir." I smile as I get in the car with EV.

I'm gonna miss this place.