Chapter Eleven

“I wish a good day to all present. My name is Neil Quickwit and today, I represent the State of Illinois.” Neil stopped in front of the jury and smiled briefly at them. “And because I do, I want to thank each and every one of you for coming here today and serving justice.” He paused. “It’s a beautiful autumn day outside, isn’t it? Clear skies, chilly wind, watery sun. . .” Neil cleared his throat. “A day not unlike the 16th of October, 2018.

“On that day, Samantha Limestone – a beautiful and intelligent woman at the young age of thirty-two – got out of bed early and had cereal for breakfast. She fussed over her hair, pulled on her bests clothes and left her pet Chloe some cat food. In the car, she turned up the heater, listened to the radio and perhaps even sang along . . . unaware that this would be the last time she performed all of those insignificant little habits.

“Because on the 16th of October, Samantha Limestone’s life came to a cruel, abrupt end. Was it a car accident? No. Did she die of a heart attack? No. Did she drown, perhaps? No.

 “Samantha Limestone, ladies and gentlemen, was murdered; murdered in cold. Murdered” – Neil stopped and pointed at Ebenezer” – by that man over there, who blindly caused Samantha to die little by little and in unimaginable pain, while Mr. Soon stood and watched until the very moment his butler realized what was going on and ran outside for help – help, as we all know, that came too late for the young woman.

“The defense has dressed him up in an expensive suit; tried to hide who he really is by using the image of a rich, devout and successful man, physically impaired since he was a bright teenage boy, to blind you. They will tell you that Mr. Soon never harmed his spin doctor; that they were friendly with each other; that, in fact, the defendant is a man of God, who fervently believes it to be wrong to take a life. And nice as that sounds, being incapable of walking doesn’t making a man incapable of murder . . .

“You’ll hear from the respected Detective Belinda Sharp that Ebenezer Soon’s fingerprints were all over the glass embedded in Samantha’s skin. You’ll hear from Mr. Huang, who was walking his dog when he heard the arguing, that he heard the defendant call for his reputation to be preserved. The medical examiner will tell you that it would have been next to impossible for her injuries to have been caused by a fall alone. Mr. Soon’s neighbor will declare that they were often heard fighting, and that after a couple of months, the arguments got progressively worse. Samantha’s psychologist, whom she had started seeing soon after the start of her employment, will take the stand to tell you that she admitted to feeling intimidated by this so-called poor invalid and was considered resigning.

“I ask of you: don’t let yourself be fooled. I ask of you to look at the evidence – see how, in a fit of anger, Ebenezer Soon purposely grabbed a vase nearby, smashed it and repeatedly stabbed his employee. I ask of you to remember Samantha Limestone’s promising future, which was maliciously disrupted by the defendant. I ask of you to remember her family and friends. I ask of you to acknowledge the truth, in the name of Samantha, America and justice. I ask of you to give the defendant the punishment he deserves for the murder of Samantha Limestone.”

Neil turned away from the jury box dramatically, but paused for just a brief moment and said softly, “The defendant has been charged with murder in the second degree. A person is found guilty of second-degree murder when he deliberately causes the death of another human being, be it without premeditation. Maybe Mr. Soon had not planned to end Samantha’s life when the sun dawned on the 16th of October . . .  but fact is that around 8 AM on a beautiful morning, he stabbed her repeatedly with the intent to kill.” He glanced at the jury piercingly. “Ladies and gentlemen . . . don’t let Mr. Soon get away with murder.”

“Mr. Quickwit deserves a standing ovation for his speech, don’t you think?” Walter spoke. “But we are not here today to listen to a speech; we are here to decide on the fate of a young man.