The Waltz of Petals

Harvey stood by Pierre's stand fidgeting with the cuffs on his jacket. He still couldn't believe he got the courage to ask someone but he feared she won't show. He started fixing his gelled hair and straightening his cobalt tie as more people showed up just to ease his anxiety. The suspense was driving him crazy.

"She'll be here soon, just try to relax." Pierre told him.

"I don't know if I can!" Harvey objected playing with a pink peony flower crown, "What if she doesn't come?"

"She will," he nodded, "Women take their time to get ready, I should know."

"Really?" Harvey gasped surprised, "I thought they take an hour at most? And even then that's pushing it."

Pierre sighed and shook his head, "The world would be a happier place if that were true."

Harvey softly chuckles and hears two women talking to each other from the woods.

"Would you stop worrying? You look great!" He hears Emily talking to someone who he think is her sister, Haley. Harvey looked over to see who it was and every single possible emotion hit him when saw it was Adella.

Beautiful wasn't the word he would describe her. Her turquoise hair was lightly curled and a few strains were pinned with a delicate flower clip and makeup that complimented her tan complexion. He didn't think she needed makeup because she was naturally pretty but seeing her dolled up made his heart flutter faster.

Adella walks over to him holding a yellow tulip boutonnière that matched her dress, "Well don't you look dapper in blue, Dr. Harvey." She smiles bashfully.

Harvey smiles goofily and blushes deeply while glancing at his feet, "Th-thank you, Adella and uh... you look rather lovely yourself." He stuttered feeling his heart pound harder in his chest.

"Thanks." She blushed more.

"I'll leave you to it then." Emily smiles at the both before leaving to join the others.

"I uh, made this for you." Adella stuttered showing him the boutonnière, "I figured I would make my own to make it a little special."

"It is beautiful," Harvey agreed watching her pin it to his lapel, "I guess in the same respect, I made this for you." He smiles proudly showing her the flower crown.

"It's beautiful!" She gasped as he places it on her head, "I didn't know you could make flower crowns?"

"I don't," he started, "I might've had a little bit of help from Jas." He softly chuckles, "Lets go join the others shall we?" Harvey smiles holding out his arm.

"Let's." Adella smiles linking arms with him.

-<~***~>-

The dance was winding down towards the end as some of the villagers headed back to their homes. The married couples took advantage of the vacant dance floor and swayed in rhythm to the band's slower songs. Harvey sighed watching them from his chair as Adella went to grab food from the buffet table. He wanted to dance a little while longer but she begged him for a break since they were dancing for a few hours straight.

He sees her come back with a big plate full of food and she immediately starts eating when she sits down.

"Are you sure you didn't want anything?" Adella asked after gulping down a mouthful of food.

"I'm feeling a bit peckish now, but I can grab my own plate." Harvey told her getting up.

He spots Maru at the buffet table and sees her smile.

"How's the dance going for you, doc?" She asked with a slight smirk.

"To tell you the truth, the best Flower Dance I've ever been to." He softly smiles making a plate.

"I'm glad," Maru grins, "You know... you and Adella make a pretty cute couple."

Harvey nearly dropped his plate and looks at Maru all flustered, "I uh- she's just- we-us?!" He stumbles over his words. He couldn't even fathom asking her out.

He inhales deeply organizing his thoughts, "Thanks but I think we're comfortable staying just friends."

"I'm just saying," Maru shrugs, "Well, I'm heading out. I'll see you tomorrow." She softly smiles at him before leaving the clearing.

Harvey finishes gathering his plate and starts back over to where Adella is sitting. She already finished eating and was leaning back in her chair watching the other dancers.

"Are you having a good time?" He asks sitting next to her.

"I am actually." She smiles tiredly, "To be honest, I'm quite surprised that you're a good dancer."

"Thank you," he started and began to eat, "I actually love to dance, but typically I don't have the best luck finding a partner." He sulked.

"You asked me didn't you?" Adella mentioned.

"Yes I did," Harvey nodded, "But I was so nervous that you would say no."

"Well I can't say no to the man who sewed my leg up." She stated, "Plus I wasn't sure if anyone would ask me, so I was getting nervous thinking about asking you." She blushed looking at him.

"Well I wouldn't say no to the woman who pulled me out of the Gem Sea." He stated coolly finishing his food, "Would you care to dance one more time?"

"Sure, I think I'm well rested." Adella jokes and takes his hand.

Harvey leads her out to the dance floor holding her hand. He places his hand in the small of her back limiting the amount of space between them. The sunlight gets dimmer as the fairy lights along the fences give off a soft warm glow. The band plays a slow, romantic melody accompanied by a soft warm early summer breeze. The sweet fragrance of spring foliage brushes over the clearing as the remaining villagers dance the evening away.

It was the perfect setting for Harvey to kiss her, their face were inches apart, bodies at an intimate distance, the romantic ambience, and the lingering tension between becoming heavier and heavier with each passing second. He wanted to kiss her and he seemed sure she wanted to kiss him too. But he didn't want to push his boundaries and ruin their friendship.

After the dance was over Harvey walks Adella back to her farm. He was pleasantly surprised to see how she was doing on her farm. Pathways were set up, little plots of land for specific crops. She even has a couple kegs in place for wine and spirits.

"Thanks for walking back, Harvey. I had a great time." Adella smiles at him.

"My pleasure," he smiles blushing a bit, "I had a great time too."

He watches her nervously bite her lip before leaning up and places a kiss on his cheek. His heart felt like it was pounding out of his chest and his cheeks turn bright red.

"Good night, Harvey." Adella blushes slipping away into her house.

"G... g'night... Adella..." Harvey slurs his speech feeling lighter than air.

He walks towards the clinic smiling like an idiot. His heart exploded as he keeps replaying that in his head. Harvey couldn't say it for sure but he was feeling in love.