-134-

The Gryffindors and Ravenclaws were receiving a quick dance lesson from McGonagall and Flitwick. Cass smiled over at Noah, who was sitting between James and Remus, chuckling at something Peter had said.

"As you all know, the graduation ball is a privilege. There will be no consumption of alcohol—"

There was a general groan.

"We're all seventeen though!" A Ravenclaw called out.

"It is a school dance, Mr Winters." McGonagall said, her lips thinning. "No alcohol. You may bring a partner if you wish—"

"Hey, speaking of partners Minnie, will you come with me?" James said, grinning at McGonagall. Sirius gasped.

"Prongs! How could you? You know how I feel! Betrayal!" He clutched his chest dramatically, taking off of the bench.

"So he can ask McGonagall but he can't ask me." Lily muttered grumpily to Cass. "Typical." Cass nodded sympathetically. 

"Mr Potter, I will not be attending with you." McGonagall said, a small smile tugging at her lips. "Nor you, Mr Black."

"Heartbroken, Minnie. I'm heartbroken." James said. "You've broken my heart."

"How will I ever recover from this heartache?" Sirius said, flinging his hands up and burying his face into Remus' shoulder, fake sobbing dramatically.

"I'm sure you'll survive." McGonagall said dryly. "Anyways, I'm sure you have all danced before, so I will demonstrate. Filius, start the music. Mr Black, up here if you please."

"Me?" Sirius said.

"Yes, you can dance can't you?" McGonagall said.

"Aw Minnie, why him over me? Am I not good enough for you?" James said. McGonagall didn't warrant him with a response, rolling her eyes. Sirius grinned and got to his feet.

"Hand on my waist." McGonagall said.

"I know how to dance, Minnie." Sirius said, adjusting his hands so he was in the correct position for a waltz. The music started up, and McGonagall and Sirius waltzed elegantly across the room. James and Peter wolf-whistled.

"Thank you Mr Black, that was excellent." McGonagall said. "Now, the rest of you find a partner and practice."

Sirius bowed to McGonagall, before slipping back towards Remus.

"Girls and boys, if you please." Flitwick said.

"Bummer." Sirius said. "Can't show off my excellent dance skills to you Moony."

"I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunity for that later." Remus said. He strolled over to Dorcas and Marlene.

"May I have this dance?" He said, extending his hand out to Dorcas. Dorcas giggled.

"Can you even dance Rem?" She said. Remus shrugged. "Alright then, suppose you're better than some random Ravenclaw."

"Gee, thanks." Remus said.

"Oi Marls, want to dance?" Sirius said.

"Charming." Marlene muttered. "And this is why I am not atttacted to men."

"Rude." Sirius said. "So do you?"

"Yeah alright Black, what harm can it do?"