Twenty-Three // Stay With Me

Oliver Greene

An hour had passed, and my head had dropped back onto Ben's shoulder. I was fidgeting with my hands, hoping it would get some of the nervous energy out while Ben was reading a random sports magazine he'd found, occasionally looking down at me.

My mom was busy on her phone, sorting out some work things and talking to the football coach about what had happened.

"How are you doing?" Ben softly asked. I shrugged.

"Better, I guess. Still worried. I just want to know if he's okay." I whispered.

"I know. He will be. I know it." Ben reassured. I nodded, hoping he was right.

"Henry Greene?" a nurse came out. My mom immediately hung up the phone and I stood up, rushing to stand next to my mom.

"Yes?" my mom said.

"He's stable. He has a severe concussion and some neck strain, but he'll be just fine. We're going to keep him overnight to monitor him, but you're free to see him." she said. We nodded. "I can take you to his room then." the nurse said. I looked back at Ben.

"I'll wait here. Just let me know if you need anything." he said, offering me a smile. I nodded, smiling back at him. He sat back down as we followed the nurse to Henry's room.

We rushed in to see him. He was hooked up to a bunch of machines, some x-rays and other images of his brain were sitting on the desk, where a doctor sat.

"Hello. I'm doctor Hatcher." she said, shaking my mom's hand.

"Beth. How is he?" she asked.

"He'll be just fine. The concussion healing will be long, but he will recover and be back to normal soon enough."

"No brain damage?" my mom asked.

"No, just the concussion. It is rather severe, so he'll be in a fair amount of pain as he heals, but I can prescribe some pain killers to help with that. His neck has also been strained from the fall, so he may have to wear a neck brace about a week to help with that." she explained. We nodded, listening to the doctor.

"How does concussion healing work?" my mom asked.

"Lots of rest, mentally and physically. Very minimal TV, reading, that sort of thing. He needs to sleep as well, but you should wake him up about every four hours during the first few days to ensure he's responsive. He's been doing well so far, so I have no doubts he'll get better and have a full recovery at home." the doctor said. My mom continued to ask questions and I went over to Henry, sitting in the chair beside him.

I heard him groan and look over at me.

"Oliver?" he mumbled.

"Hey, Hen. How're you feeling?"

"I'm sleepy. What happened? I remember reaching for the ball, then everything is super blurry." he said.

"You got hit pretty hard. You have a concussion, but you'll be okay. You just need to rest and lay low for a little while." I explained. Henry hummed in response.

"So no school?" he asked, making me laugh.

"No school for at least a week, Hen." I replied. Henry smiled and nodded.

"Then this isn't so bad." he mumbled. I laughed again as my mom came over to see him.

"Hi, Henry. How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm so sleepy. I want to sleep forever. But Oliver told me no school, so I don't really mind being sleepy." my mom laughed at his response.

"Alright, Hen. Why don't you rest? I'll stay here tonight, okay?" she said. Henry nodded, his eyes shutting as he began to drift into sleep.

"I'll see you later, Henry." I said, as my mom gestured for me to follow her while the nurse checked his vitals.

We went back to the waiting room and Ben immediately popped up when he saw us.

"How is he?" he asked, worry etched in his face.

"He's going to be just fine. He has a concussion that'll take a while to heal, but he's going to be okay." my mom sighed. Ben nodded.

"That's great news. I'm so glad he'll be okay." Ben responded.

"Oliver, I think you should go home. I'll stay here tonight to make sure he's okay and talk to the doctor more in the morning. I want you to sleep well. I'm sure it's been a long day for you." she said.

"What about you? You just drove from a conference, you must be exhausted." I said. She smiled at me.

"I'll be fine. I'll ask a nurse for a roll away bed so I can get some sleep." I nodded.

"I don't know if I want to be at home all by myself. I'm worried something is going to happen." I quietly admitted, hugging my arms to my chest.

"You can stay with me." Ben suggested. I looked over at him.

"What?" I asked.

"You can stay with me for the night. I can drive you home or here in the morning whenever you're ready. I just figure it'll probably better if you're not alone after everything that's happened." he finished, shifting his weight on his feet. I felt my heart flutter at Ben's kindness.

"That would be so helpful, thank you, Ben. I would appreciate that." my mom chimed in, looking over at me.

"Yeah, um, works for me." I said.

"Okay. Just let me know when you're ready to go, okay?" he said, looking at me. I nodded and he went to go put away the magazine.

"Text me as soon as you know when he can go home." I insisted

"Of course. You get some sleep. I love you." my mom said, hugging me.

"I love you too." I said, hugging her back. I said goodbye and she headed back to Henry's room.

"Ready?" Ben asked. I nodded in response before we headed outside to Ben's car. The cool night air surprising me. He started the car, looking over at me.

"Are you okay with this? Honestly?" he asked. I took a breath and nodded.

"Yeah. I just, I can't be alone right now." I whispered. Ben gave me an understanding look and put the car into drive.

****
Hello everyone.

Due to the horrific coup at the US Capitol building today, I may be a bit slow to update. I personally struggle with anxiety and depression, both of which have been much more present and difficult to deal with since November, especially with all of the unrest and fear of what may be coming these next few weeks before Biden is inaugurated. I want to make a few things very clear, Black Lives Matter, ACAB, and FUCK Tr*mp. We knew this was probably coming, but that doesn't make it any less scary. If you live in the DC area, please stay safe. To my American friends, please know you are not alone. This is a scary, uncertain time for us all.

I apologize for being a bit of a downer here at the end of this chapter, but I felt it was necessary I explain in case I take a day or two off.

I love you all and am so beyond grateful for your support and love for this story.

Stay safe!
x Anne