29

"If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself."

Mekai

I'm not proud of what i've been doing. I'm doing everything i promised not do to. Sneaking around and lying were never my intentions, but Melo couldn't handle the truth.

Melo was working out so I took the opportunity to head out. I grabbed the darkest hoodie I could find and my sunglasses. I walked downstairs and met my parents who were already waiting for me. We got in the vehicle and met Zenan who was already standing outside. Chills covered my body as i entered the area. Who would've thought it would come to this ?

Zenan gave me a comforting pat on the shoulder and a warm smile. My phone buzzed in my pockets. I tried my best to ignore it but it was a constant vibration. I took it out to see that it was three missed calls from Melo. He was the last person I was trying to talk to right now, even though i needed to talk to him the most.

I walked into the room with fear all over my body. My parents held on to me tight and ordered for me to sit down.

"Miss Ball, we're so glad to see you," The doctor smiled.

I honestly wished I could say the same. I nodded and looked down nervously.

"Well you're results are back and there's no easy way to say this," The doctor sighed at me.

"We found a source of cancerous cell growth around your thyroid area, that explains why you were experiencing swelling around that part. Your difficulty to swallow and your hoarseness were major signs as well."

My mind went blank at the information I was receiving. It felt unreal, as if I were in a dream.

"Luckily, we caught it an early stage and this is one of the most curable cancers. You have the option to either remove a part or all of your thyroid or you take the radioactive iodine treatment where you swallow a radioactive substance that travels through your blood and kills the cancer cells," The doctor explained.

"I think the radioactive treatment sounds pretty worthy," My mom said holding my hand.

I only shrug my shoulders in response. I had zero to say at the moment.

The doctor finished with what he was explaining and gave us a time when we could've come back for treatment. I didn't even say goodbye to Zenan before leaving, which was quite rude being he was the one that encouraged me to go to the doctors and accommodated me there. I said nothing the entire way back home. I was about to turn 18 in two weeks and this was nothing like I imagined. I don't even know if I was even going to see any birthdays after this.

My phone kept vibrating, but I kept ignoring it. I didn't even know what to say to Lamelo. We just got married. We had our entire future planned together. We haven't even had sex as yet. Something in my mind keeps telling me that I won't have enough time to do everything I planned for my life.

I heard a knock on the door that shifted my attention from what I was thinking. The door open and Lamelo stood there with a furious expression. I checked outside to see if my parents were there but it seemed that they only let Melo in and left the house.

"Where have you been Mekai?" He semi yelled.

"I've been blowing up your phone all day worried about you and you didn't even have the decency to answer me."

I was about to answer when my phone buzzed.

Zenan: You didn't even tell me goodbye today, I hope we can meet again to discuss what happened

Melo looked down at my phone and picked it up.

"Before I go to jail, start explaining Mekai," Lamelo shouted.