27

Carson Hughes

I didn't end up being able to talk to Isaac alone until Thursday. I had spent most of the week away from my friends and perhaps the space was needed. Logan and Dana spent time together while Hadley was with Darren, Archie was with Crystal, and I spent my afternoons with Vinny. Isaac was MIA for most of that time.

It wasn't until I cornered him in the hall after English class on Thursday that I was able to invite him over my house for the afternoon so the two of us could talk. Then during gym class that same day, I finally had a normal conversation with Logan that wasn't strained or awkward.

"He really just doesn't know what to do with us, huh?" Logan said as the two of us started walking the track for class.

Coach Bronson tended to just send us out on the track when it was nice enough out because he couldn't be bothered to actually plan out class for us. Since it was nearing the end of October, nice, mild temperature days were sandwiched between days of bitter cold and autumn breezes. It wouldn't be long before the coach couldn't just send us outside when he didn't know what to do with us.

"I think he just doesn't care enough," I replied, looking ahead to see Vinny running at the front of the pack. He had been running more often now and getting back into the shape that he was before he lost all that weight over the summer. He was building lean muscle and getting faster and faster.

"Vinny enjoys it," Logan said, his eyes following mine. "I'm sure this is what he prefers to actually having to play on a team. He's always been like that."

It surprised me that Logan even brought his brother up, but his tone was casual and the bitterness he spoke with before, back when he found out about the two of us, was missing.

"He's been running a lot more lately," I told him.

Logan nodded, his gaze following his brother as he got further from us.

"I think that's at least partially because of you," Logan said, catching me off guard. "And the whole hospital thing when the doctor told him he needs to gain weight, but also you."

"Why me?"

"Because he likes you?" Logan said as if he was stating the obvious. "He wants to be his best for you."

I didn't know how to feel about that. I'd rather Vinny want to be the best for himself.

"Which is kinda why I freaked out the other day," Logan continued. "I don't want this to end badly and then have him end up losing all the progress he's made. He's doing good."

"I don't want it to end badly either," I said after Vinny passed us, now on his second lap before we finished our first. "But if for some reason it does, we're just going to have to trust the progress he made will keep him from falling back."

Logan nodded and hummed in agreement. "Are you going to come over today?"

I hadn't been over there since the week before and it was strange to even think Logan had to ask that question.

"I can't, Isaac's coming over," I said.

Logan let out a low whistle, sending me an awkward smile. "Good luck with that."

"Have you talked to him since Sunday?" I wondered.

"Yeah, I mean there's really no hard feelings," Logan said with a shrug. "I was just shocked when it all came out, no pun intended. And I was worried for Vinny."

And I really couldn't blame him for that. I knew how much Logan cared for his brother, even if they way he showed that care was questionable at times.