Chapter 4

It's been about two weeks since Lamar and Amiyah's first date and they were already on their third one tonight. Well, tonight isn't really a date, he just fixed them some dinner while they worked on thinking of ways to gather evidence and reopen her dad's case.

"Oh my gosh. You can really cook", Amiyah said.

"I told you", Lamar said.

"Well, you need to teach me something because I am not all that good in the kitchen", she said."Well my food isn't nasty it's just that I don't really make anything from scratch like this"

"Yea, I was the youngest and I didn't really go outside much as a kid. So, my mom had me help her with dinner. She said, I'd appreciate it one day because women love a man who can cook", Lamar said.

"Well, your mother taught you well", Amiyah said.

Lamar smiled as he sat next to her on the couch. "So, tell me exactly what happened that night", he said.

Amiayh put her plate down on the coffee table. "Okay, so basically my dad and I were at this corner store after he picked me up from school. I remember it like it was yesterday, it was so hot outside. I had on my favorite-"

Suddenly, Amiyah's phone began ringing.

"Sorry", she said as she got up and went into her purse. She took her phone out and it was Dominic so she answered it. "Hello", she said after answering the phone.

Lamar acted like he was looking through the stuff that she had but really he was listening in on what she was saying.

"Hey, he said. I just wanted to let you know that I'm coming into town for my sister's baby shower so I may pop up on you and Bianca. That and she wants y'all there", he said. "It's in like two weeks on a Saturday at 2pm"

"Oh okay", she said. "I'll have to see if I can make it"

"Oh, I forgot y'all big time lawyers now", he said.

Amiyah chuckled. "Oh please hush Dominic", she said. "But I am busy right now and you're interrupting"

Lamar looked over at her and made a face.

"Must be a dude", he said. "He better be good to you"

"Well, if you ask me he is quite the gentleman. So, I am going to continue my conversation with him and hung up the phone", Amiyah said.

"Alright. Have fun and be safe", he said.

"Thanks. Talk to you later. Bye", Amiyah said.

"Bye", he replied.

Amiyah hung up the phone and walked to Lamar. "Sorry that was another friend of mine", she said as she sat down. "But back to what happened. To make the story short. It was similar to the gas station robbery that happened a few weeks ago. But my dad, he tried to help her as he called 911. The police didn't even ask questions, the came in point their guns at my dad and told him to get on the ground and next things I know he's in the back of a police car and I'm at my aunt's house. They wouldn't listen me because they thought that I was just trying to cover up for him", she said.

Lamar looked down.

"Since going to prison my dad hasn't been the same. I go see him when I can and I also talk to him on the phone when I can and he smile and laughs with me but inside I can tell he's miserable", Amiyah said.

Lamar touched her thigh and rubbed it gently to comfort her. He could tell that she was getting a little upset from the tone of her voice. "It's okay, because I'm going to help you. I don't know how but we're going to do something", he said.