Chapter 8: Knowledge Killed the Kneazle

Everything belongs to JKR, tell me in the comments if you want to see more of the Gryffindors or more of the Slytherins!

She caught a glance at the book he had been reading as she backed away. It read, "The Veela: Tragic and Romantic." Why would Draco be reading such a book? The triwizard tournament and all the gossip over Fleur was long over. Draco famously disliked Care of Magical Creatures, to the point where he almost got Buckbeak killed. There were also no biting retorts today, nor was she told off for touching him. He seemed to be acting more and more unusual. 

At least he hadn't called her any awful names lately. He was still the same Malfoy, but why couldn't her heart stop beating so fast? Harry and Ron would be furious if they found out. Harry would only use this instance to further fuel his groundless suspicions, and maybe even use the cloak again. Hermione decided there was no reason for her friends to know of this harmless, if confusing, encounter. She should have been far, far angrier at what had just occured, but she was more curious than anything. 

The title of his book intrigued her. She dashed the possibility that perhaps she was just very interested in what Draco does, like how Harry is. How was a veela's life tragic? Weren't they just beautiful creatures who galavanted around the world, dancing in moonlight and seducing men?

Hermione was almost done with her Charms essay, anyway.  She combed the magical creature section until she found only three other books to do with veelas. Why were they in the restricted section? Hermione wished Draco would return the book he was reading since she didn't think she could manage to sate her curiosity with just these. She could blast through these volumes in less than a day. Nothing excited Hermione Granger more than the prospect of things which she had yet to learn, and so she sat down with the first title: "Sorceresses of the Moon." 

Veela are classified by the Ministry of Magic as XXXXX, known wizard killer impossible to train or domesticate, but the truth is they are so close to human that many humans have not been able to tell the difference. If the Ministry were to classify wizards, we too would be XXXXX. A veela's magic is distinctly tied to the moon and to her own emotions. Veela magic is usually done in the form of song or dance, and the only type known to defy the five exceptions to Gamp's law. 

Hermione gasped, and continued reading. 

Veela can do wondrous magic wizards cannot, but because of their high intelligence no one has ever been able to cajole a veela into doing magic for research purposes. Most knowledge of them is volunteered by humans who have survived an encounter with a veela. When angered, they shapeshift into harpies, birdlike creatures with extraordinary strength, speed, and viciousness. Their long claws and strong beaks have been known to tear offenders to shreds, and their wings create magical gusts of wind that would be impossible for a bird of the same size. When overjoyed, veela can produce magic the likes of which wizards may only dream of. A veela may have many lovers before they meet their mate, but the strength of their joy and love once they find their mate is rumored to bend even the most fundamental laws of magic. However, if a veela is rejected by a mate, they slowly go mad, and it is then they are at their most dangerous. 

This must be why the veela books were in the restricted section. The veela had powers beyond wizards and above human intelligence, threatening the current hierarchy of society. How deliciously rebellious, how amazingly groundbreaking! She never would have guessed one of the greatest threats to the wizarding world were the women relegated to seductresses in the legends. Hermione suspected that it was partly because veela were women that they were not taken seriously as threats by the general public. No wonder veela were so rare. No wonder all part veela wizarding families were required to be registered with the Ministry! Although, many must have gotten around this, as she knew Fleur's heritage and Fleur was most certainly not registered. 

Hermione's heart ached. She was glad Fleur didn't have such veela characteristics, other than her beauty of course. To be romantically rejected was already hard enough, but the veela even lose their minds faced with that reality! Death would be a kinder fate. Her heavy intrigue had led her here, but the answer was sad enough to weigh on her mind. The book ended with:

Lakes and pools within creature-heavy forests of Europe during a full moon are the best place to find the veela, but these creatures should not be encountered lightly. If a veela desires you, regardless of your gender or if you are her true mate, she will approach you first. No one has ever romantically rejected these beautiful creatures, or no one has lived to tell the tale. The best course of action is to observe from afar or promptly leave the area if you happen to spot one. 

There is a single exception. A witch may safely approach veela if they are dancing, as veela are known to never reject women who wish to twirl with them. Some witches have said that they had a magically enhanced lucky day within a month after they sang and danced with a veela under extraordinary moonlight. They reported it was as if they had consumed a full vial or more of felix felicis. Never approach a veela or part veela whose wings are visible, for any reason. Many wizarding families have been rumored to have veela blood, but it rarely manifests fully. Part veela witches can do most of the sorcery a veela can, and more, if the veela within them has been awakened. 

Hermione couldn't stop thinking about the book on the way back to her room. Her classes had never been farther from her mind. What a sight that would be, to see the most beautiful creature on earth, and to get to dance with one! To try the most rare, most valuable kind of magic! Hermione resolved that she must see a veela someday. The Sanguine Moon would occur in late September this year, and it was already mid-September. Surely that famous full moon would be her best chance, what kind of moonlight could be more "extraordinary" than red moonlight? The Sanguine Moon this year was supposed to be bigger and more blood-hued than other Sanguine moons, so she hoped it might attract a veela. Hermione also knew of many pieces of folklore, both wizard and muggle, that placed significant emphasis on the red moon that resulted from a lunar eclipse. 

All manner of creatures lived within the forbidden forest, so she would just have to sneak out and see if she could catch a glimpse. If anyone could survive such a dangerous place, it would be Hermione Granger, especially without anyone else slowing her down. Hermione felt the thrill of this prospect of forbidden knowledge coursing through her. She rarely considered performing actions so reckless, but this time she made her mind up in an instant. Her friends didn't have to know, they would only worry. She had never been more thankful to be born a woman. No pictures of veela could be found, and no veela magic had ever been accurately documented in a painting, so she had to see one with her own eyes if she was to satiate this burning curiosity. 

The Gryffindor girl's dorms were as red and gold as ever, and her little lion-like pet fit right in. "Would you want to come with me to the forest, Crookshanks?" Hermione said, glad no one was around. He jumped into her lap once Hermione lowered herself onto the crimson sheets. She often spoke to her half-kneazle companion, confident in his intelligence and grateful for his advice. Crookshanks opened one eye, and then closed it, purring continuously at her petting. Not a bad sign, but not a definite yes either. "You're right, you probably wouldn't like it. Too many suspicious creatures wandering around."