The Return

She crouched beside the corpse,absentmindedly. All her focus was lost elsewhere , the cases were starting to get tiring. She wished she could focus but there were too many odds. A soft sigh escaped her lips as her eyes set on the man's pale face, a blue bruise on the side of his face like someone had hit him with a rod ,lips parted in shock or a scream she couldn't tell. Nobody knew him although his features didn't resemble one of an outsider neither did his clothes.

Supporting her head using her hand, she examined his face before resting on his hands. Something thin and red was popping out his shirt sleeve. A strange feeling hung in the air, the high buildings cast eery shadows upon her, she was alone but could hear the rest of them, her partners right behind looking for other clues. Her hand enclosed around the man's wrist, carefully she raised his sleeve afraid that she might spoil some evidence in the process.

Tied to his hand was a thin red ribbon, it's edges were frayed,there was a blue mark right above the frayed ribbon and by the looks of it it seemed to have been tied too tight. She returned her gaze to the man's ghostly lifeless eyes. In a swift motion she got to her feet and strode away from the corpse muttering under her breath.

There was something about the ribbon, it seemed so familiar"where have I seen it?"

She stopped and turned to face the lifeless man again, she remembered, of course , it was the other killings the same sign, the killer had left behind. Something white in his pocket caught her eye. Taking two steps forward she dropped to her knees and slowly took the paper. Part of her was not really sure about what she should do but she went ahead and read it,
"See you soon..."

Something erupted inside her,she wasn't sure if it was panic or confidence or just knowledge. Her hand holding the paper quivered a bit 'what does he mean by this...' thrusting the paper into the pocket in her jacket she walked backwards then turned and rushed to the car.

She was still for a moment ,a minute in thought before she made her way home.

She pushed the door that opened with ease,tension weighed down on her. The house was quite dark with the night settling in, it wasn't even her second step inside the house. A bloodcurdling scream rang from the next door and before she knew it she was running to it,instincts told her to carry on and forcing her to believe she'd find what she wanted. The door to the house was ajar, cautiously she stepped in. An unsettling silence had taken hold of the place. Expensive wood made the floor and it creaked with every step she took.

'Straight out of a horror movie 'she thought as she made her way. It was definitely strange to be in the silence when just a minute ago the scream had rang out. Her eyes moved to the windows which had their curtains drawn back, the moonlight fell onto the space closest to the window.

Her steps were slow and steady like that of a predator but she wasn't sure if that were the case now. Her foot stepped into the nearest room and the rest of her body followed in, entrapped by darkness,along with the intimidating silence that had conquered the house, a shiver ran down her spine . Squinting her eyes she tried to spot something and as her eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness she noticed that the floor was wet and sticky. She allowed her fingers to feel the substance although she knew what it was long before her fingers felt the material . She brought her hand up to her face ,dread filling her, as her nose caught the smell of fresh blood. She turned to leave a peculiar coldness enclosing around her despite the heat of the room.

There was something on the wall, she had noticed it. Cautiously she walked to the wall and there it was; a message and the handwriting was the same as that of the letter she had found in the victim's pocket earlier that day.

'It won't be long now we'll meet soon'

She shivered,a new panic settling inside her. Her heart drummed so fast and she took deep breaths she rushed outside not wanting to stay there any longer. She didn't bother to look for the source of the blood.

Terrified ,she broke into a run as soon as she was outside. The door to her house was just as she had left it , she stepped in and locked the door behind her. Her head was throbbing and she couldn't get her thoughts straight.

She fell down to a crouch beside the door willing herself to calm down. The silence dragged on for a minute before she got to her feet and walked ahead. She shuffled her feet, frustrated. The day's events were haunting her. The only clue ;the messages he left behind and the ribbon which connected each of the deaths,so far they hadn't got her anywhere. Pacing back and forth she tried to calm down .

There was a loud crash. Her head snapped up straight - the kitchen. She rushed there afraid of what she might find , shards of glass were scattered on the floor,reflecting any light it could pick ,making them look like an infinite of stars. Her gaze moved to the table,and just as she guessed there it was, another one of his messages. Her hands shook as she opened up the folded paper.

'We finally meet!'

She froze at the echos of footsteps, and her eyes stayed glued to the shadows that fell on front of her ,unmistakably of a person.

..........................................................................................................................
Hello .... I hope u really enjoy the book. Thank you so much for all the reads and please feel free to comment and share your ideas if you wish to. And please do vote and let me know how you like the book , I'm trying hard ,so it means a lot ^_^ . Please share my book with your friends. Once again thank you so much =)

Ps.  Please let me know your thoughts about the cover =)