Chapter 20.3 Proper views pt. 2

The Forerunner building had opened to him. The Celebration was over, Gilderien the Wise wanted to meet with him near the building. It made sense now; the building had been time-locked. It wasn't ready to open until just now. And as Maine marched towards his barracks and carefully programmed the machine waiting for him there to refit him in his MJOLNIR, his mind traveled to the memory of the spectral dragon. How it had nearly killed Eragon. What had it done? And why? Eragon was human and there was clearly a Forerunner presence in that thing...so why?

As soon as he had been outfitted properly, he plucked his helmet from the grasp of the machine and left his barracks, donning the piece of equipment in the process.

He didn't bother to keep up a calm appearance; every single elf in Ellesméra was at the Menoa tree and he had a free path to the Forerunner structure. He broke into a short sprint and made his way to his goal within the minute. Aeraleth was waiting for him there, as was Gilderien the Wise.

"You," Maine snapped. "What do you know? What happened?"

The elf didn't reply. Instead, he smiled and spread his arms, aiming with his hands at the structure behind them.

"What was that thing? What did it do?" He demanded, but Aeraleth told him to turn around. As he did, he saw the same shimmering console appear that he had seen before. He turned back to face Gilderien, but he had disappeared again. "I hate it when that happens," he then muttered. 'Aeraleth?'

'Yes, little soldier. Are you ready?'

'Ready for what?'

'For this. Can you not feel it? There is an energy coming from that building...and energy that your suit also radiates.'

'What?'

'You cannot feel it?'

'No.'

'I see. Let us then proceed.'

'How are you so certain that it will open?'

'I just am.'

'Fine by me.'

He walked towards the console and moved his hand to its surface. Suddenly, a yellow spark jumped between his armor and the holographic projection, draining his shields and causing his muscles to clench. It didn't hurt him, but his limbs went rigid. But before he could even gasp in surprise, the energy left his body again. The console, once in possession of a bright orange tint, was now glowing a soft blue.

'Did not expect that,' he admitted to Aeraleth.

'Let us proceed.'

'You said that before, Are you alright?'

'Right now, I don't know. Will we be?'

'Of course, we will.'

'Then I am alright.'

Ignoring his dragon's strange behavior, the Spartan turned to face the doors. Or rather the large opening that had been left in the absence of the doors, as the structure had opened up to them.

He looked at Aeraleth, who in turn looked down at him. Together, they nodded and entered the gaping mouth of the Forerunner structure. Even with his night-vision, it was very hard to make out what the room looked like. They walked for more than ten minutes, which was odd considering the size of the structure itself. It led him to believe that they were either underground, or that the room was bigger on the inside.

Eventually, after having walked past various catwalks and hallways, the two of them entered a room that was roughly ninety by ninety feet large. Four large structures were placed at the corners of the room, roughly cylindrical in appearance. Five large, blue rings surrounded each of the structures, making them look like human power-generators. The walls were made out of a silvery metal that looked organic in nature, despite the fact that it was obviously metal.