8. DREAM AND HEADSCARF

👗🎀 👒Dream & Headscarf 👒🎀👗

A true story by Elie Molly*

Beijing, 15 December 2018

When I met my European man, I sent him a photo of my Indonesian friends and me in Beijing in a meeting in KBRI. He asked why we all wear Hijab, for what. I told him that Muslim women must cover their heads and bodies to obey Allah (God). He said, "I see. Thanks for explaining." But I feel my explanation was not enough, so here I wrote about a story of Hijab.

A long time ago, when I was doing a bachelor's degree in Indonesia, I had a best friend. She was an adorable girl whose beauty was incredible. She had a fair complexion, big pretty eyes with a pair of nice eyebrows, a sharp nose, and red lips that beautified her oval shaped face. For me, she was one of the most good looking girls I have ever seen. And what surprised me, she wore a headscarf at the campus.

At that time, I wondered why such a lovely girl like her covering her head and body that way. When I visited her dorm, I saw her without a headscarf. She had thick, long, and brown hair, which made her beauty was much more superb. I was so amazed and said, "You should not wear a headscarf in public; you should show your beauty to everyone."

She smiled gently and replied, "I'm a Muslim, and God asked me to cover myself. It is God who has created me, so who am I to disobey Him?"

Her words made me silent.

I told myself, "I was also born as a Muslim, but why I don't wear a hijab like her? My parents never told me to do so."

Then I started to learn about my own culture and religion. I read the holy book containing words of God that should become the guidance of life. And yes, I found a verse in the holy book that women are compulsory to cover the head and body for God's sake. This verse motivated me to wear the hijab.

One day I found a headscarf in a store near my campus; the color was white and golden. I bought it because it was so cute. I tried it at the dorm. My best friend saw me. She said that I look beautiful and cute in that headscarf. "You should wear it to campus. So I did it. All my classmates were stunned by my new fashion style. They said I looked beautiful. And my best friend motivated me, "See, everyone said you are beautiful in hijab, so don't take it off again."

I was thrilled at that time. From then on, I continued to wear hijab on campus every day. My parents lived in another city; I didn't tell them about my decision because I was afraid they would not wear hijab.

On an academic vacation, I went back home, and my parents were surprised at my new dress. "Don't wear a headscarf like that because it will make it difficult to find a job," said my dad. "Hijab makes you look old, you will be difficult to find a husband," said my mom.

I replied, "Mom, dad, wearing hijab is compulsory in our religion. Don't worry, with hijab; I will get a job and a husband."

My parents looked very disappointed at my decision, but they didn't say anything more. My mom looked so sad. She didn't want to criticize me, so she did it indirectly. Every time she walked out with me and met people in the street who commented on my hijab, she would say, "Oh yes, my daughter is wearing hijab now, but I don't want to wear because hijab will make my hair fall, thin, and smell very bad."

I laughed. My mom thought that her funny words would change my mind. But I didn't say anything. I just made dua in my heart, "Oh Allah, please make my parents pleased with my decision, and please give my mom guidance to also wear the hijab like me as an obedience to You."

And Allah is the best answerer of prayers. Not long after I wore a hijab, I got my first job as a professor's assistant at my campus. And I got a marriage proposal from a man of a reputable family. Even though I refused the proposal, I was just 20 years old at that time and not yet ready to get married, but I proved that my parents' worries were unreasonable.

Alhamdulillah, since that time, my mom and dad have been pleased with my hijab. And years later, my mom also started to wear the hijab like me. Until now, she never takes it off in public. And when I flew to China to continue my study, my mom bought me many hijabs because she was worried I could not find one in China.

In China, some people asked me why I wear the hijab. I told them, "Oh, it's for my future husband, so only he who can see my hair and skin."

"Wow, your future husband will be the luckiest man ever," said my male friend.

"If I have a wife in the future, I also want to be the only man who can see my wife's hair and skin. No other man can," he continued.

"Great," I smiled. "I hope your dream come true."

Alhamdulillah...thank you to all my friends, teachers, readers, and customers who respect my fashion choice. Respecting the difference is something to be much appreciated. I love you all. 💚💚💚🌷🌷🌷

*Elie Molly, the author of the book "Dare to Dream."

To connect with the author and to know more about her books, visit:

https://eliemolly.wixsite.com/website