To the Top

Year 850

"Rise and shine sleepy head! Someone has to be bossed around by Horse Face." I slowly open my eyes to see Mikasa hanging down from her top bunk.

I flip my pillow over to the cold side and wrap myself in the blanket even tighter.

"Oh don't be like that!" She says, getting down from the top.

"No! Give me like five more minutes!" I say curling up.

Mikasa grabs the blanket and rips it off of me.

"Hey! It's too cold for that!!" I say, looking over at her shivering.

"And it is too late for you to still be in bed! You have training today and graduation is today." She says.

"Fuck." I say, sitting up.

---------------------------------------

I walk out of the dorm doors and put on my jacket. I walk very slowly to the training grounds where I spot Jean putting on his gear. He turns around to the sound of feet being dragged against the dirt.

"Wow, that isn't pretty," Jean says, resting his hands on his hips.

"Will you shut up! It is too early for this!" I say, wobbling side to side.

"Hurt and get your gear on." He says shoving the gear my way.

I put the chest piece on making sure the X is pointing out and buckling the belt cross my chest. I go over to get my belt.

"Are you stupid?! Or is this the morning stupid?!" He says, eyeing my gear.

"What the fuck is wrong with it?!" I say.

"Tighten the sides!" He says, rolling his eyes.

I look under my arm and tighten the strap.

"Okay. Whatever." I say grabbing my belt.

I slide on the belt and sliding it through the holes of the chest piece. On the back, I cross over the straps on each side of the belt and tighten them. I clip in the lower back piece as Jean comes up to me and behind me.

"You are ridiculous.." He says.

He undoes the top straps from my lower belt and he reconnects them to the farther one making it tighter.

"I don't ever want to talk about his situation...Kirstein." I say as I get jerked around.

"I wasn't planning on it. Hand me the lower pads." He says holding his hand out.

I grab the pads from the table and hand it to him. He presses the pads into my lower back belt.

"Okay. I think I can do the rest myself, and while I'm at it, fix your face, you look like a strawberry." He quickly covers his face in embarrassment.

---------------------------------------

"Okay, when you use the 3MG you want to balance your weight, and when you want to turn, shift your body weight to that side." He says.

"Demonstrate," I say.

"Seriously?" He rolls his eyes and flies off landing on a branch of a tall tree.

"No, I just wanted you away from me," I say, hooking the hooks into a tree and gliding straight on the tree right in front of him.

"Looks like you can balance your weight well, but shifting your weight is where you might have some trouble." He says, gliding off turning corners.