CHAPTER 2

JUDY DOUGLAS. GRADE 5
My name is Judy Douglas. My mom works at home and my dad works for the National Park Service. He cuts down the dead trees and does controlled burns to prevent forest fires.
The whole thing started because certain people who shall remain nameless did some thoughtless things that I don't need to discuss here.
This is so unfair. I have almost straight A's and I'm in the G&T program. That's gifted and talented. I would never break the law or do anything dishonest. Things just got out of control. The next thing we knew, we had to go talk to the police.
Do you have any idea of humiliating this entire ordeal has been for me? Do you know how upset my parents were when they found out? And now this is going to be on my permanent record, probably for the rest of my life. If this keeps me out of law school someday, I will be so angry.
I'll sue. That's what I'll do. Well, if I get into law school I'll sue. Oh, I just wish I could go to sleep and wake up and find out it was all a dream. Like it never happened.
JUDY'S MOM
My first reaction was that it was discrimination. We are one of the few African-American families living in this area. When something bad happen to Judy, I can't help but wonder if it is bigotry at work. But I looked onto it, and that wasn't the case. She and the others just did a dumb thing and they got caught. It's as simple as that. And now they're going to have to pay for it.