Chapter Thirteen: Resolutions

After everything I'd been a part of at Morior and the Mortal Masquerade, this place still had ways to surprise me. I had a suspicion as to who Larkin's headsman had been – he was a tall, muscular guy who I'd seen working as one of our stagehands and occasionally came under an avatar, but I had no idea who the lady was who lost her head after Maise and I left the platform. It was an impressive effect which must have involved a lot of skill, trust and preparation on both their parts. It was easy to forget that we weren't the only ones Uncle Morbid called upon for deathplay illusions.

On Monday it rained heavily. I got drenched in mud cycling to work, but didn't mind as I knew there was a hot shower waiting. It meant we were working together all day in the workshop, outdoor work on the Jungle would have to wait until the rain stopped. But this place doesn't put you in situations like a woodland cabin in a Spring rainstorm without there being some kind of drama in store.

Around about eleven there was a knock at the door, rising above the clatter of the rain on the roof. I got up and opened it, to find a soggy looking individual huddled up against the downpour. The man in the doorway looked to be middle aged, of slim build with slightly balding greying hair. He wore a burgundy golf sweater speckled with rain droplets, tan chinos, deck shoes and a checked collared shirt. His face was covered with light but managed stubble, his expression good natured and unthreatening. Wilco stopped and stared as he saw him, looking him up and down with amazement.

"Hello William," said the man. "You look just as I remember you. I might have changed a bit myself, though."

Wilco burst into tears and ran forward, the two men embraced passionately.

"Phillip!" he cried. "I'm so sorry I left you!"

I fetched Phillip a towel and made tea for us all as he sat down to tell his story. Chris had to be processing emotions right now – even though she'd known about Phillip, we never expected him to show up here, and certainly not as an older man. Perhaps sensing this, Phillip sought to put him at ease straight away.

"Are the two of you together?" he asked Wilco, indicating him and Chris. When Wilco confirmed that they were, Phillip looked Chris up and down.

"I didn't think you liked femme, William," he said.

"Chris dresses to express herself and I prize that above any preferences I might have. She was all man when I first saw her, but when I saw her dressed l I knew it was real and that I had to accept it. Then it turned out I love Chris both ways – you love the person, not the type."

Phillip was impressed.

"It seems we've both been on learning journeys," he said. "Let me tell you mine."

"When you took your own life, it devastated me. What made it worse is that my parents still treated you with contempt, it was then I knew I'd made the biggest mistake possible by letting them bully me into leaving you. They told me I could attend your funeral if I wanted as if it was some big concession, I told them both to go to Hell and that was the last I ever saw of them. I wish more than anything I'd done that when it counted.

"After I graduated I made my way whatever way I could, did a bit of freelance illustration and ended up teaching. That's when I met Martin, who became my life partner."

Phillip paused for a moment, remembering who he was talking to.

"I'm sorry to drop that in like that. He did know about you and I, and how it ended. I hope you would have wanted me to move on."

Wilco nodded quietly.

"It's OK," he said. "I'm truly glad that you did."

"Martin and I married in a civil partnership," continued Phillip.