Chapter Fourteen: The Magic Number

Professor Norax's Wonder Emporium and Theatre was a small magic shop with an attached cabaret venue situated in one of the hidden backstreets in our city. It was run by Ted Braxton, the business associate Maise had purchased the sawing illusion from (along with some coaching on the finer points), who then invited us to bring a group to one of his magical cabaret evenings.

By now our work on the Hungry Garden and wider Jungle was pretty much complete and we were looking forward to opening up at the next Masquerade, which would include the egg hunt event. This happened to coincide with our ongoing roleplay as Larkin and Adelia, so it was decided that it would be the stage for the third, possibly climactic, showdown with Elbert Makabra and Amethyst Annie, with plenty of interesting ways for any of the characters to meet their end. In the meantime, everyone agreed that a group trip to Prof. Norax's establishment for a meal and evening's entertainment would be a good way to unwind and celebrate after all the hard work that had gone into getting the Jungle ready.

Uncle Morbid was happy for us to book the tables as a group from Morior Studios and even offered to charge the meal to the company account as a treat for us all. He himself would not be attending, however.

"I know of Mr. Braxton's work and would very much like to meet him," he said. "We have in the past welcomed a member of his company as a visiting performer at the Masquerade. But for reasons I won't go into, it would not be appropriate for me to accompany you on this occasion, I think he will want to talk to you before he does me. If the opportunity arises, you may extend an invitation for he and his company to be our guests at the Masquerade. I have already asked about booking one of their performers this weekend, but am yet to hear back.

"Please represent us proudly. As you will have gathered, Mr. Braxton and his company are aware of what we do and I believe there is mutual respect between us, but there is also a level of distrust and misunderstanding that I would very much like to clear up. If you can pave the way to us doing this I would be very much obliged."

Our group consisted of everyone who had worked on the Hungry Garden with the exception of Scott. We also invited Debs and Rafe, who we couldn't leave out of an outing like this, it was right up their alley.

Maise and I arrived first to find a group of tables set aside for us on the right side of the room, just in front of the stage, which was on a low platform surrounded by lights. Ted Braxton came out to welcome us personally.

"Hello Maise, and you must be the Amazing Lexie I've heard so much about, welcome! Thank-you for bringing a party down, we're very glad to have you here. Tell me, will your boss be joining us?"

"Not tonight," I told him. "He said he wants to meet you but thought you would want to just speak to us first. Something about a misunderstanding."

Ted thought about this.

"That's actually quite perspicacious of him," he said. "I'll explain later, but for now get some drinks and enjoy the show. How did you get on with the sawing illusion?"

"It was incredible," I replied. "Maise led me through the whole thing from inside the box."

"She has a magician's mind, that one," said Ted. "I wouldn't have sold the kit to her otherwise. Great to finally meet you, Lexie, we'll talk again after the show."

Our group started arriving in dribs and drabs. Chris and Wilco were first, looking very different in evening dress. Wilco wore a suit with his dreaded hair tied neatly back, while Chris wore a black cocktail dress with jewellery, makeup and a long dark chocolate red wig. Maise hugged Chris as she saw her.

"Chris, you look stunning!" she said. "How does it feel to be out as a lady?"

"It feels good," she said. "But different, knowing that it's me and not an avatar."