Author's Note

(Above is the moodboard I made for this story. Link to the WIP introduction post on my Tumblr is in the external link.)

Hello and welcome to yet another of my WIPs! It'll contain plenty of tropes I've used in my other ones: steampunk elements, airships, magic, multiple asexual characters, no love triangles, dysfunctional families, and monsters both human and otherwise.

This story will get fairly dark. I don't know yet just how dark. It depends on whether certain things in the outline actually happen or not. At the minute I don't think it'll be darker than The Power and the Glory, but that's a pretty low bar. It will contain physical and emotional abuse of a teenager by their teacher. However, I can state with absolute certainty there will be NO sexual abuse. Both the main characters start out horrible people, but there are lines even they won't cross.

Book one is my project for the Original Fiction Big Bang on Tumblr. Book two will be my NaNo project.

Inspirations for this WIP include The Scum Villain's Self-Saving SystemPacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow, a throwaway line (about mages being very rare) in The Power and the Glory, and all the LOTR and The Hobbit "time-travel fix-it" fanfics I've ever read. The setting is very loosely inspired by Norse and Arthurian mythology. Once again I'm experimenting with a different writing style than usual. How well it works remains to be seen.

A huge thank you to Sheewholoved for making the cover!