Chapter Twenty Four

The colourful dream I seemed to have been floating in for a few weeks now, seemed to fade a little as our finals week arrived like a juggernaut, trampling all joy and careless nights

In spite of that, however, I managed to survive. Although between trying to revise well in time and also making sure Ace revised as well, things this year were a little more difficult than ever before. With a little less sleep and a little more caffeine, I managed to give the exam with an almost sane mind. So much so that I was confident I had done decently. Apart from maths where my nerves had kicked in terribly before and during exams and made me skip questions I could've easily done with a calmer mind. 

However, I didn't have to think about that till we got the results next week, which meant I had a few days of pure blissful freedom. 

One thing I had noticed over the exam week was Ace's steady silence. He still seemed normal for the most part, but I often found him gazing into the distance, his eyes glassy. Clearly drifting off while we were trying to study. It had mutually been decided that for both his health and Celia's it was better if we were to study at my place. And we did, supplied by snacks all through our sessions by my mom. Thankfully, she hadn't brought up the subject of Ace again.

I  told myself he was possibly just stressed about the exam, but he never seemed to me to be someone who cared for such trivial things. 

The day after our last exam, biology, (which I was a hundred per cent sure would fetch me an A+), we decided to return to his place to hang out. Celia and Allie weren't home, and Ace informed me in a voice that was way too casual that they were at Dave's place. I didn't ask anything further and we decided to settle in and watch a crappy movie to pass time. 

"I'm actually so disappointed," Ace said halfway through the movie, shaking his head. "After all that hype, I really hoped it would do more you know?"

I stared at him before back at the screen, raising an eyebrow. "It isn't scary enough for you?"

He shrugged. "Parts of it are good. But all in all, it's just..." he scrunched up his face, "-so fucking loud."

I laughed. "You sound so bitter."

"I kind of am. I really detest jump scares."

Despite his complaints, however, we managed to watch almost the entire 'The Conjuring' before my phone rang. I reached for it and saw that it was my mom. I quickly picked up the call, slightly anxious. 

"Hi honey, how was your exam?" my mom spoke through the phone, hurriedly. I wondered if everything was okay since it seemed like she was breathless from running. 

"Eh, fine yeah. Are you-"

"Did you have lunch?" she interrupted again. 

"Yeah. Yeah, I did. Mom, where are you? Is everything okay?" I asked.