Chapter two

~ Heidi

I stumble into my apartment. It is dark inside, telling me Aiden isn't home. I peel off my boots, anxious to let my aching feet get some air. I walk to the bathroom we share and flip on the light.

My face looks tired, bags form under my eyes from dealing with inmates all day. Today they got more rowdy that usual, must be since the moon was full last night and they haven't cooled off.

My brown hair had escaped from the tight pony tail I had secured this morning, framing my face. I couldn't tell if it looked cute or if it made me look psycho.

I flip on the shower and as the steam begins to fill the room, I rid myself of my armor. Stepping inside the shower, I feel the scalding water and issue a sigh of relief.

I've always felt safe in the shower. It's a place where you can really escape to your thoughts. A place I can be myself, not the fierce leader of the guard. Well, almost leader.

I let the water trail down my body, washing away the sweat and dirt I had brought home with me. My thoughts wander far away.

I hear the bathroom door open as I begin to lather my hair with shampoo. The soap covers my hair, making it foam up. I feel a hand graze my stomach and I smile.

I turn around to face my mate. Aiden. He stands in front of me, now getting soaked by the spray of the shower. His blonde hair clings to his forehead and his blue eyes stare dreamily into mine.

Aiden is the leader of The Guard. I am his second in command. Our skills are matched, he just got the position because he is male. We met in the academy two years ago.

During a sparing match, we finally touched and realized we were mates. A month ago we finally moved in together and he marked me as his.

He brings his wet lips to mine, water trailing down both our faces. "I missed you" he whispers.

Butterflies flutter in my stomach. I love him with all of my heart. I bring my hands to my hair, rinsing out the shampoo that remains. He takes his own bottle of body wash and begins to lather himself.

I watch his movements, my eyes lingering on parts of his body only reserved for me. He catches my gaze and smirks before engulfing me in his arms.

The water is shut off in an instant as he leads me back to our bedroom, not taking our lips off of each other.

Lust takes over.

~~~~~

I hear footsteps, dragging me out of my slumber. My eyes slowly open like a garage door. I see Aiden putting on his black combat boots. My brows furrow. It's still dark outside, probably deep at night.

"Where are you going?" I croak out. He throws his shirt on and we make eye contact. He looks tired and regretful.

"I got a call. There's somebody on a killing spree through the packs." He breathes out. He walks over to the bed and bends down to give me a quick kiss.

"They called me to take a force and capture him."

"Let me go with you!"

"No." He growls. "Not safe." He drags himself away from me, reaching for his jacket.

"You act like I'm not just as strong as you and just as qualified!" I rage out, standing from the bed.

He walks closer to me, he is now inches away from my face. His blue eyes are filled with worry.

"I'm telling you to stay here. I have others I'm taking with me. You are not needed. " he commands.

I open my mouth to protest further but he growls once again, reminding me that I am not first in command. I roll my eyes and fall back onto the bed angry.