About Damn Time

Jovine entered her chambers to find a brightly pink-faced Erin hiccuping as she avoided the arrogant smirk Elias was shooting at her from across the room. As soon as Erin spotted her, she shot up out of her seat and scurried over to her side. Without a word, Erin placed herself firmly behind Jovine's body with a relieved sigh.

Jovine glanced back at Elias, her eyes narrowing when he casually sauntered over to the tea set Erin must have prepared for him. As he plopped himself down in the emptied seat and picked up a dainty teacup, she asked, "What did you say to her?"

Elias turned wide, innocent eyes towards her, blinking as if he was above such reproach. "Me?" he pointed to himself with a clueless glint. He raised his hands in surrender. "I've been nothing but a saint."

"Oh, really?" Jovine glanced back at Erin with a raised brow.

From the looks of it, she looked more embarrassed and flustered than offended. Knowing how crude and teasing Elias could be, it would have worried Jovine to have brought him so suddenly, but Erin gave her an awkward smile in return. Jovine couldn't help the small sliver of amusement. Elias could be painfully blunt and jarring, but Erin's no-nonsense sweetness would tantalize the man.

"Well, don't go around troubling her," she said, walking toward her room with Erin trailing right behind.

"Am I troubling you, Erin?" Elias asked with a smile in his voice.

Erin came to a stop, her mouth opening and closing as she tried to find an answer.

"Elias," Jovine sent her brother a warning glance.

He simply laughed into his cup.

As she entered her private chambers to undress, Erin hurried to help her.

"Lord Elias meant no harm. I was only mortified to wake up in his presence this morning. You know how much I drool in my sleep...I probably looked like a wet potato."

Jovine chuckled. In her whirlwind mission since the break of dawn, she had asked Elias to wait for her as she hunted down those wretched records. With Erin still asleep in her bed, she could imagine the shock. "I'm sorry for bringing him here so suddenly. But, you do not look like a wet potato. In fact, I think my brother finds you quite adorable."

Erin gasped in disagreement. "Your Majesty, do not jest like that. The man terrifies me."

Jovine couldn't argue. Elias Rainer was a man of many talents and tragedy. He was far from being malicious or cruel, but scars ran deep within her forsaken brother. "He's here to help me," she explained.

"I know, Your Majesty. I'm not —" Erin gasped again. This time in disapproval. "Is this dirt underneath your fingernails!?"

She gave a hearty laugh. Here came the scolding she expected.

For the next few minutes, as Jovine dressed herself in riding breeches and a loose tunic, Erin never stopped scolding in that endearing way she always did. "Do you know how worried I was this morning? You are an Empress, Your Majesty. You cannot go around so carelessly! And don't even get me started on the dirt."

"Thank you, Erin," Jovine chuckled, patting her lightly on the arm when she finished buttoning her boots.

Erin's little rant came to a stop. "Pardon?"

"I can't remember the last time I felt like laughing."

Erin's mouth fell open. "Your Majesty! This is not a matter to laugh about!"

"Even so, thank you. For your concern and your friendship." Jovine gently grasped her hands in gratitude.

Erin squeezed her fingers in support and gave her a slightly vexed laugh. "Well, now I can't go on with you talking like that." She picked up the old, ragged coat Elias had disguised her in the night before and helped her put it on with a look of unease. "I know you're more than capable of whatever path you are to travel. But, please, Your Majesty. Be careful."

Jovine nodded with a sad smile. She wanted to tell her everything, but she was now embarking on a perilous road. She'd have to be wary of how to proceed. Tying her hair back, Jovine walked back out to the drawing room, where Elias was languidly sipping on his tea with a sharp gleam shining in his eyes when he noticed her attire.

"So," he started. "What's your verdict?"

Time — until morning — was what she had asked. To affirm and decide. And now, a choice she thought would be difficult came so easily. Jovine reached into the pocket of her borrowed coat and threw the small metal coin into the air. When he effortlessly caught it with his fingers, the question he asked her rang in her mind.

Will you play? Or be played?

"I'll play."

Elias shot his gaze from the face of the coin to her determined eyes. A wicked smile lifted the corners of his mouth. "About damn time."

"Do you know where he is?"

Defiance flashed across her brother's face. "Who?"

He knew exactly who she was talking about, but he would make her say it.

Jovine lifted her chin. There was no turning back now.

"Amon vel Feyras."