3: School

As I walked out of the front doors of the hospital hours after being attacked, I saw Dewey and Tatum standing next to Dewey's police cruiser waiting for me. I had called Tatum earlier to come and get me. She met me half way and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

"Glad to see you're doing better, Katherine." Dewey said from behind us.

"Thanks Dewey." I said giving him a small smile as Tatum let go of me and turned to glare at her brother.

"Yeah," she sassed, "no thanks to you or the oh so lovely Woodsboro Police Department."

Dewey kept silent as Tatum gently walked me to the cruiser and let me get in first. Then they both got in and it was a very silent drive to school. As we pulled up to the front of the school, it was surrounded by dozens of news vans and news crews.

"Fucking great," I muttered, looking out the window, "just what I need."

Tatum grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently and gave a soft smile before stepping out of the cruiser. I got out after her and we linked arms walking towards the dreaded building.

"I overheard Dewey talking on the phone with someone from the department before coming to get you," she said gently, "they're going to interrogate the entire school. From teachers to students."

"Oh my god," I exclaimed, "they think someone here did this? Killed Casey and Steve?"

"No clue," Tatum shrugged, "Dewey says this is the worst since...."

I know what she meant. This town hasn't been this on edge since what happened to my sister and mother last year. As we walked into school, you could hear the buzz from the other students talking about the killings or looking in my direction. They knew that I was there. That I was the last person to see Casey Becker and Steve Orth alive and to see them dead.

Tatum glared at the people that stared at us, then turned towards me, "if you need anything, let me know. And I'll leave class and have Dewey pick us up."

I nodded at her, "thanks Tate. But, I think I'll be okay." She nodded in understanding and gave me hug before turning around and walking down the hall to her class.

I gripped my backpack in my hand and sped walked to English class. I let my head hang down as I entered the room, until I sat at my desk next to the empty one beside me. The desk that belongs to Casey. Well, it did up until last night. I sighed and turned my head to look outside lost in thought.

I don't know how long I was looking outside for until I heard my name being called by Mrs. Tate. I turned and looked at her.

"Katherine. It's you're turn." She announced sympathetically.

I got up and gathered my things into my bag and I looked at the empty desk beside me one last time before making my way out of the room. I could feel the eyes of everyone burning a hole into my back as I took each step. I walked down the hall and into the main office. I sat down in a chair outside of Principal Himbry's Office, I peaked into the room and saw him, Dewey and Sheriff Burke in there.

I saw Principal Himbry move from his desk and to the door. I whipped my head around and looking down at my lap, playing with my nails to make it seem like I wasn't spying.

"Come on in Katherine." Principal Himbry said encouragingly.

I gave him a small smile and entered the room, unprepared for interrogation part two. I sat down at one of the chairs opposite of the principal's desk and looked at all three of them.

"How are you doing Katherine?" Sheriff Burke asked. He standing at the window with his arms folded looking at me in supposed concern.

"Could be better, thanks." I said flatly.