Chapter 24: Focus

Looking up at the train, I wondered if I could use my ring to make a bright light or torch of the sort.

Maybe if I think and concentrated hard enough.

I thought in my head. I stared hard and looked at my ring, hoping it would light up. I focused for a few minutes until I saw the white glow on my ring. It started lighting up, fading in and out. I made my way towards the rusty entrance of the train door and walked in.

It the corner there was someone faced the opposite way. I couldn't tell who it was because their face was buried into their knees. "Hello?" I whispered. "Do you need help?"

"Come child."

The voice sounded like my mother. However, the figure didn't look like her. The ring light was casting distorted shadows making it hard to tell the gender of this person. Without any thought I ran up to the person and lifted their head up. To my absolute surprise it was no one other than Joe.

"Joe!?"

"Helena..." He stood up fast, frowning down at me. "I knew you'd do something stupid. Are you trying to jeopardize this?"

"I was trying to help Bishop," I shouted. "If you'd just give her back."

"I don't trust her while I'm teaching you. After you learn, then I'll release her," he said. Joe took me by the hand and yanked me out the train. He pushed me to the ground. "You can't trust anyone right now! If you want to help anyone, you're going to listen to me. Got it?"

The anger and harshness in his voice frightened me. I simply nodded. "Fine," I said.

"Say sorry." He demanded.

I scoffed. "Are you kidding me?"

"I'm not," he said. "didn't your mom tell you to respect your elders?"

"Fine, fine, sorry, whatever," I rolled my eyes and looked at my ring. It began glowing much more, providing us with better lightening, almost blinding.

"See, you're in control," he said.

I shook my head. "It's too bright."

"Helena, you need to learn how to stay still and breathe. Your focus is off. Sit down and I want you to think about your surroundings. The things around you. What do you hear? What do you smell. What are you feeling?" he said.

"I feel the cold grass," I said. "I feel the chilly wind. I see the moonlight. I smell wet grass."

"Good," Joe continued. "think about the light. How much you need. What you want to see. How important it is to your survival. To your mother's survival, Bishops, and the world."

The light on the ring began to settle to a point it wasn't to bright or too dark. It was just right. I smiled. "I didn't need to say anything. Like no magic words or anything."

"Your mom taught you what you should say," he continued. "but she didn't tell you that you don't have to. Once you have control, it'll be easier for you. But for now, I will teach you a few things."

Joe went on explaining how the ring's magic was almost like saying a spell then it happening. If you have the right focus you don't have to say anything. But he explained that will take a while. That I'll have to train my mind to get used to not overthinking. That it could put me in danger...or potentially kill someone.  He handed me a paper with strange writing on it, explaining that it's all  poem to help and guide me. He taught me some. Recited them. Asked me to memorize them. There were poems about flying, knowing when the enemy is near, teleportation. He said those were the basic. Protecting myself.

"Your fears are holding you back, Helena," he said. "sooner or later you have to let go, face reality, and not detach yourself from worldly affairs."

By the time I started yawning and feeling tired, the sun was coming up. "Let's get some rest," he said. We headed back to the rooms. Before going back into my mine. I turned and looked at Joe. "Hey, thanks a lot." I said. Deep down I felt grateful, but there was something in me that didn't trust him fully.

Joe nodded. "Get some sleep, kid." He closed his door.

I went into my room and laid down on my bed. I thought  lot about Bishop. About where she could be. I was scared to think about her because what if I put myself in actually danger like Joe warned me. I was sure Bishop was leading me to her but I was afraid. I did let fears hold me back and I didn't listen. I just left without thought. Before I drifted into sleep, I focused on Bishop. How I felt about her, questioning  where she was, and why I needed her...

***
I woke up in a dream. I knew it was a dream. Not sure how though. It was me and Bishop in the same room. I looked at her without saying anything. She stared back at me.

"Why would Joe keep you away from me?"

My mouth didn't move but I heard my own voice somewhere.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

I thought.

Why would Joe keep you away from me? Why can't she watch me train? What is he so afraid of?

Bishop stood up.

I stood up too but not by my own control. I was unwillingly mirroring Bishop. Walking closer and closer towards until we were face to face.

Focus.

I missed her so much. I felt the the hurt build up in my chest. The anger. Why wouldn't Joe let me see her.

Focus.

Why was he hiding her. Was she dangerous?

Focus.

I stopped thinking.

Bishop's still face formed a creepy smile. "Hello Helena."

A voice came from the air.

Focus. Focus on Bishop. Where was she?

Her face kept smiling at me. It was scary. I was scared. I tried to close my eyes but couldn't. Her eyes began to turn dark and everything around me began to darken.

***
I woke up in a sweat. Wanting to cry.

What did it all mean....

Helena and the RingsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara