Sing Me A Lullaby

With a small smile adorning my face, I descended the stairs to the living room. Why was I smiling, one might ask. Well, today was as good as being kidnapped got. I finally had an escape plan, I didn't see Francis most of the day, I got to play dolls with a sweet little girl, and by now I knew my father would be looking for me. It was a pathetic sliver of happiness, but it was the best I had at the moment.

The thought of my freedom being so close made my heart flutter. I knew my father would have filed a missing person's case by now, as it had officially been twenty-four hours. Willow Springs is a small town, so when someone goes missing it is big news. My dad had probably been looking for me for a while now. I never stayed after school for activities or sports, I had no friends to visit on the way home and I was always home before dinner.

My throat felt like it was closing as I reached the bottom step. My smile fell from my face, all my happiness stolen. This was the second dinner I was missing. The second night in this terrible life I was thrust into. All I could hope is that I could sneak out tonight and get away. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath, hugging myself at the foot of the stairs.

Stop it Haitlin, I told myself. You need to suck it up and do something about it instead of moping! You were taught better than this. Straighten yourself up, put on a brave face and go.

I straightened my back, took a deep breath and held my head high. This is no time to cry over spilt milk. Just suck it up and move on. I can cry all I want once I am in the safety of my own home, my real home. Just put one step forward and you'll be on your way, I encouraged myself. One step.

After what seems like hours, but probably only seconds, my right foot stepped out in front of me. Soon my other foot followed, and I was starting the long walk to the kitchen. I walked across the living room, until I reached the small hall. I took a deep breath and walked down it and to the kitchen.

Olivia looked up from her coloring book and smiled at me.

"Haitlin come sit by me!" she exclaimed, patting the seat next to her.

I followed her instructions and sat to her left, with Francis sitting across from me.

"Nice of you to finally join us," he said in a strained voice.

I could tell he was trying to hide his anger.

"Sorry for making you wait, I just had to freshen up a little," I said in façade.

Francis suddenly got up and walked to the counter where three plates laid. Each held seasoned chicken, spinach, and mashed potatoes. I used to have similar dinners like it at home. It looked really good; too bad my appetite was long lost.

He placed a plate in front of each of us and took his seat. Olivia put away her coloring book as we started out silent dinner. I barely touched my food again, but I ate most of the spinach. As a kid I always liked spinach. It reminded me of Popeye, so I ate as much as I could to be strong like him; strong like my dad. Everything else on my plate was forgotten.

"Haitlin, you should eat more," Francis spoke up. His voice scared me since no one had spoken for half an hour.

I looked down at my plate to see my untouched potatoes and chicken.

"I am not very hungry," I said.

It was true. Just the look at his face made my stomach drop.

"Well I don't want you starving yourself," he replied.

"I'm not starving myself. I'm simply not hungry," I said through clenched teeth.

Olivia had obviously noticed the tension in the air. She had her little head bowed down and was twiddling her thumbs. I kind of felt bad for her. She had no idea what was going on, but was stuck in the middle of it.