Chapter 17

I slow to a stop. The blue jewellery box I knew to be missing from her bedroom lies in front of me at my feet. On its side with the lid open to show me the empty inside. A red stain covers the top side of the box. My heart pounds.

Further ahead, I see her barbie doll, a bright yellow dinosaur, a pink plastic tea cup, the blue toy car I use to own as a kid, and a stuffed princess doll. All smeared with blood.

I step through them. Moving around them. Making my way forward. I stare at every toy that I pass, finding more the further I go. Pieces of jewellery, wooden blocks, marbles, and painted rocks. The second last thing I come across is a travel bag from Mum's cupboard. Then, I find her coat.

A light brown coat with fluffy fuzz on all the edges. Blood stains the inside and outside.

My fingers come off red as I pick it up and hold it in my hands, staring at it. What did they do to her?

Behind me, I hear running footsteps approaching me. I don't bother to check who it is, knowing it can only be Axel or Jonah. It turns out to be both. I hear them still calling out to me, but they stop when they spot me.

"I told you to get Wyatt," I say without turning to face them, when I know they're close enough to hear me.

"We're not going to leave you out here," Jonah replies, out of breath.

"What about Wyatt?" I ask, still staring at the coat.

"We'll go get him right now." Jonah slaps his hand down on my shoulder. "Come on."

I scrunch the coat up in my fists. "I can't leave her here," I tell him. "Wherever she is." She could be hurt. She might need help. I can't just walk away and leave her to fend for herself. Not again.

"We'll come back and find her after," Axel says.

She's dead. That's what I hear him trying to tell me. I can here it in his voice. There's no rush in finding her.

"Why would he do this?" I say, talking to no one in particular. "He said he would look after her because he's her father. In what way is this looking after her?"

I receive silence from the two standing behind me.

"She didn't deserve any of this."

Jonah's hand falls from my shoulder.

"They hurt her." My eyes begin to water and I try my hardest to force the moisture away before Axel and Jonah can see it. "They probably killed her." I tighten my grip on the coat and sharpen my expression. Throwing the coat on the ground, I turn and say, "Now, I'll kill them."

Before Axel and Jonah can reply, I storm pass them. I hear them both chase after me. I don't slow down. I won't.

"Dorian!" Jonah calls out. "Wait up." They rush after me, unable to catch up.

When I spot Axel's car in the distance, I shout over my shoulder. "Give me the keys, Axel!"

"I don't think you should drive," he tells me.

"I don't care," I reply, clenching my jaw. "Hand 'em over!" Reaching the car, I turn to look at them, holding my hand out in front of me.