Chapter 24

We drive. Each bump and bounce sends a searing pain through my entire body. It explodes through my bones and burns to the end of every nerve.

I'm sure when the car stops, they'll kill us, and there's nothing we will be able to do about it, but I'm wishing this to be there now. I want the bouncing to stop. The pain rises to an unbearable point and doesn't stop there.

I try to keep from groaning and crying out but the longer it goes on the more I can't help it. 

When the car slows and pulls to a stop, I relax my tense body and breathe a breath of relief.

With a last minute idea, I ask Wyatt, "Is there anything we could use as a weapon?"

I hear Wyatt's hand scuffle around on the floor, searching for something, and I do the same on my side.

"Nope," he says. "I got nothing."

"Same," I tell him.

"So, we're dead."

"Yep." I crack a smile and hear a single huff of a laugh come from Wyatt.

The engine cuts off and the car doors open and shut.

I gather myself, preparing for whatever comes next. Taking a few deep breaths. Calming my mind. Accepting the lack of chances for escape. Whatever happens next, I'll have to deal with it.

The door flies open. I don't remember the moonlight being that bright before. It shines around the dark silhouette of Chris, staring down at us, the knife in hand.

"Get out," he says, pointing the knife at us, stepping back to give us room.

Wyatt lifts himself up and drags himself out of the car. Chris grabs his wrist before he's gotten out, and as soon as both his feet hit the ground, he spins him around and holds the knife to his throat.

I climb out, holding in the cry of pain I want to let out as I lift my leg up and out.

Chris clearing his throat catches my attention but I realise it's not for me when Nathan moves forward and grabs a hold of my arm.

"Don't think I won't spill your blood right now," Chris tells us. "If either of you run, fight, or doing anything stupid, I won't hesitate." He pulls the knife in closer, pressing the blade deep into his skin without drawing blood.

We're forced to walk, with both of our captures behind us. Wyatt and Chris in front, me and Nathan following behind them.

I notice Chris dragging and throwing Wyatt around more than Nathan does to me. He allows me to lead most of the time. Choosing our path around the trees. His grip stays firm but loose, unlike Chris's vice-like grip.

I only have two problems. One being I'm forced to walk faster than I can manage. Nathan refuses to let my limp and my pain slow us down. He pushes me forward, making me keep up with Chris's long strides.

The second: we're walking to our graves.

Nathan stops when Chris throws Wyatt down onto the forest floor. He turns to me, glaring, and storms over. Pulling me from Nathan's grasp, he says, "Grab the other one."

Nathan walks over to Wyatt and helps him up by his arm, barely holding onto him.

The knife rests on the edge of my jaw, the point of it jabbing into my cheekbone. His fingernails stab into my neck bones.