Chapter 26

He runs.

A powerful wave of panic slams down over top of me like a boulder but that doesn't stop me from turning and running. I run as fast as my injuries will allow.

The car is right there; it's so close, but he's closer, and with my pain, he's faster. I can hear him gaining on me. Catching me up.

I see the three of my friends in front me, standing beside the open doors, encouraging me to run faster, waiting to jump in and go when I get there.

I'm almost there. Just a little further. Run. Run. Please don't fall. Run. Faster! Pain like electric shocks surges through my body. Don't fall. I'm almost there. Run faster!

The slight touch on my shoulder sends white-hot jolts of fear through me. His grip pushes me down, and in the half a second I have before the world becomes a blur, I see my three friends jump from the car and run towards us.

I hit the ground. He lands on top of me. The two of us roll around in the dirt together. He loses his grip on me and he rolls on ahead. We both come to a stop.

With nowhere else to go but back, I get to my feet and run further away from the car and my only chance at safety.

I take two steps. Chris launches himself at me to grab my ankle. My knees hit the ground and I faceplant. Dirt in my mouth.

I kick and thrash around, attempting an escape, but failing as Chris pulls me towards him. A bite of pain shocks me and without looking, I know he's sliced at my ankle with the knife.

I let out a scream and kick at his hands. As I look down at him, I manage to make contact and kick the knife out of his hold.

I lose it in the darkness as it flies up into the air. A second later, I hear it plop onto the earth to the side of us. Too far out of reach.

At least he can't reach it either.

Wyatt runs up behind him. Chris swings around, elbowing him in his stomach.

As Wyatt stumbles back, clutching his stomach, Chris's grip loosens and I'm able to take the short-lived advantage to pull my leg from him.

He chases after my leg while I get to my feet and when I get away from him, he jumps up too.

The four of us stand around Chris. Each of us waiting for someone else to make the first move. When nobody does, I swallow hard and go for it.

While he glances at Wyatt, with his back towards me. I leap forward. I notice Wyatt takes his eyes off Chris for half a second to look at me instead.

No. No. Please don't notice him. Stay turned—

Chris whirls around and his fist flies into my face before I can begin to swing at him.

Blackness. White sparks. Moonlight. I stay standing. How? Pain fizzles in my cheekbone. My fingers reach for the spot. I check them for blood but they come away clean.

Looking back, I see Chris shove Axel away, and Jonah already on the ground.

Wyatt runs at Chris who jumps to the side and shoves Wyatt past him, letting him fall.

Axel jumps forward. Chris prepares. Axel will go down. Then, it's my turn. I can—I'll wait for the—

Chris grabs Axel by the front of his shirt and swings him around so he comes barrelling towards me. We crash into each other and fall to the ground.