Chapter 35: My Sirius

I was surprised by what the man had said, but then I remembered.

"Yes, it must be," I replied. "I was the last to agree to be part of the toxin research team."

"Yes, that one," he interrupted. "Miss Ramos, your thesis on toxins won several awards. It was even featured in the Science section on the news."

"Yeah, well, I wasn't expecting it. Nobody sees that section."

"Well, we did. You said you only required the correct toxin, and we gave it to you, but you have been causing some problems based on that..." They approached us, and Sirius stepped partially in front of me. The men were a few feet away. "I want to ask you to stop causing trouble personally," he continued. "Believe me, having an evolved on your side is not going to help," he added, looking sideways at Sirius.

"No, I want you to please understand. You must not use the toxin. It will kill us all; besides, the evolved people are not the problem."

"Oh, they are."

"No, the problem is caused by us attacking them."

The men laughed.

"The poor woman is crazy," said one of them, earning Sirius's growl in response.

The Governor silenced them and looked at me seriously.

"If I remember correctly, your parents died because of some evolved people."

"I know." I swallowed hard. "I wanted to ask about that too..."

He frowned.

"It intrigues me."

"I want to know where their bodies are. I know they are not where they should be."

"And how would I know?"

"You must know!" I insisted roughly.

"You are under arrest for illegally breaking into government facilities and promoting chaos," one of the men began to declare. "Now, please, the evolved must surrender by hook or crook."

Sirius tensed instantly, a door opened, and many evolved men entered, perhaps twenty.

"Young lady, you did not want to agree to enter the investigation. Your presence was essential because of your knowledge. As you can see, your perfect thesis fascinated us. On the other hand, your parents threatened to divulge what was happening here. That is why that accident occurred, so you agreed to work with us, and they were out of the way. Two birds with one stone," he explained.

"What?!" I growled.

"Yes, as you suppose, our evolved men did initiate the attack... Oh, wait." He moved closer, staying a foot away. "Did you think they could have been alive? Don't fantasize."

Anger and disappointment struck and washed over me. How many Evolved attacks had been real, and how many from our government? My parents were the victims of their cheating just because they wanted to create their stupid weapon and not be betrayed.

"How do you dare!" I yelled with tears, wanting to give him a shove, but the man tried to hit me in response, and it was all chaos.

Sirius lunged at him, and the other evolved men reacted and attacked in response.

"Sirius!" I screamed desperately, looking for him with my eyes.

Things calmed down in a few seconds. The evolved men had separated him from the Governor before he knocked the man unconscious and held him down.

"Don't dare touch her! Did you hear me?!" Sirius threatened.

The man got up from the ground and shook his suit. I could see he was shaking, but he pretended to be fine.