Chapter 26: Threat

Marcus seemed alarmed at my facial expression.

"No, no, no. Don't be thinking about weird things, huh? I already told you I think a lot, but if something is true, it is that now we can no longer change the past. I see you happy, and I don't want you to change, okay? We will try to do something somehow with this kind of silly war. We must not give up yet... Sorry..."

I nodded slowly and looked back into the microscope. I felt like the world had been about to fall apart around me, but now it was stabilizing again. 

"I also want to study him more," he continued, and I rolled my eyes, trying not to smile. "That night when Rosy called him 'Anthony,' he turned to see her as if they had called him that all his life. That means that their minds have evolved to be completely attentive to their environment at all times and remember things better. If someone called me by my middle name, I wouldn't react. I'm not used to it."

I smiled again.

"That's true. Besides, they also identify with the smell, hear better, and see more colors."

"Wow, see? Some time ago, we believed that they couldn't feel or love like us, but I see him, and without a doubt, he does. Maybe even in a way that we don't. Their brain has larger areas for their senses, meaning Sirius must feel and love your smell and the sound of your voice quite differently than you do. Their minds work in a different way because the information that comes from the outside world is more intense and contains more data than we can perceive."

I sighed, giggling again. It was true. I had not stopped to think about that. What a fool I had been. Maybe he insisted so much that his feelings were eternal because something inside him knew it. The fears were dispelled. I felt guilty for doubting.

We continued in silence. The wait to see him seemed eternal. I already wanted to throw myself into his arms.

After lunch, we went to the training camp, and they let us in without problems. Some men were already retiring and talking about the day. I heard Max being praised for bringing an EH, who had taken them all down, and how sore they were.

We went out to the vast field, and a whole circuit was prepared, with two articulated mannequins at the end, those that could be put in different positions. Sirius was there. Marcus and I looked at each other and shrugged. Apparently, he was waiting for something. 

In a corner in front of a board with buttons and levers, I could see Max raising an arm, and Sirius took off running like a bullet.

"Wow!" Marcus exclaimed. "He is faster than others. How fast will he go?!" Pulling out his phone.

We both jumped slightly in surprise as flames erupted from the ground, but Sirius took a long jump without problems. At that very moment, a cannonball shot out from somewhere, and Sirius dodged it by ducking when landing on the ground. He kept running, climbing some sort of mountain of tires in record time, ran down the hill, and launched towards a dummy I had just seen, hitting it and making it fall to the ground. Its arms and head fell off from the impact.

"Ouch," Marcus muttered.

Sirius was dodging some large rag spheres, or perhaps they contained sand. I couldn't tell. He clawed at one and sent it several feet away, tearing it and revealing the small stones within it.

He ran as he continued to dodge or deflect the stone-filled fabric spheres. Max fired another cannonball, and Sirius ducked it and did a couple of laps on the ground. He took the opportunity to gain momentum, launching himself against another mannequin like a big cat. 

With a swift movement of his arm, the dummy's head shattered. He growled and attacked the other dummy behind him, grabbing it by the neck, and with another quick movement, the dummy's head flew off.