36 | Archer

The chair groans in complaint as I twist in my spot, the ropes burning as they make contact with my wounds, blood slithering around the twine.

My eyes draw back to the last spot I saw Holland before she disappeared.

The room is cold with her absence, the slight touch of warmth she encompassed in my life withered to nothing.

I swallow the saliva in my mouth, dragging my eyes away from the rent, my attention drawn to the door as the sound of steps approach.

I relax my posture as the door opens and Director walks through, his eyes sweeping the room wildly.

"Where is she?"

I ignore him for a moment for the man at his back, his presence new and uncomfortable, something about him unhinged.

"Where?" Director repeats harshly.

I look back at him, the sides of my mouth lifting in a taunting smirk, "Your guess is as good as mine."

The darkness in his eyes grows, looking around the room before he finds the vent and his lips twist in a sneer.

"She'll be back." The man at the doorway mutters, walking further into the room, "So will Lilac."

"I need them under control."

"Sir." The man nods before another body enters the room, this man taking up the doorway, his presence the same to the first man but slightly different.

I narrow my eyes when his attention drifts to me, his name entering my thoughts.

Sebastian Smith. The Agent we were searching for.

Sebastian looks away when Director clears his throat.

"Where have you been?"

"I was checking the perimeter, doing rounds."

"And did you catch anything?" Director watches him like a hawk and I follow, analysing his every move yet coming up empty handed.

"Nothing." Sebastian says, "Everything was silent."

Director sighs, "So they may still be in the building." He looks back to Sebastian, "This is why you should have brought her in when you had the chance, now look what's happened."

"John gets distracted easily." The man that came with Director says, never taking his eyes from Sebastian.

Director hums, anger coming off him in waves, "So it seems."

Sebastian meets the other man's gaze head on, a silent communication passing between them before Director cuts through it when he walks between them for the door.

Directors eyes land on me as he exits, "Move him in with the others, it's time for a reunion."

• • •

My back slams back into a new chair, the hands on my arms bruising to the point of pain, a deep ache settling in my muscles.

I grunt, lifting my head and glaring at the man who shoved me into the chair.

Sebastian smiles at my glare, his chin dipped to hide his lips as he murmurs lowly, "Sorry, hazard of the job."

Sebastian's straightens and I feel something slip in my hand, the warm touch of metal slipping between my fingertips.

"You'll know when to use it."

"Why are you helping me? Who are you?" I narrow my eyes on him.

"You already know that, Archer."

I narrow my gaze at the use of my name, opening my mouth to murmur something else when the door opens in front of me and Clay and Cleo are thrown in.

Sebastian stalks for the exit, the door closing behind Sebs back as Clay rights himself, swearing colourfully under his breath.

I hear the click of the lock sliding into place before darkness descends in the room.