Epilogue

Sebastian has been in the hospital for a week now.

He almost died.

I curl my arms up under me, resting my head against the hard hospital mattress, the beeping of the machines lulling me into a fitful sleep.

A hand settles on my head, thumb smoothing over my hair in a soothing gesture and I lift my head.

Sebastian stares back at me, his face tired and drawn but eyes shining.

"Hi." I murmur.

"Hi." He husks back.

"You almost died." I whisper.

"Did I?"

I sit up more, "Yes."

"Well, I guess I'm quite lucky then."

"Why are you being so calm about this?"

"I'm alive." He shrugs, the movement tense with the way his shoulder is strapped. "You're here. Death pales in comparison to life without you."

I laugh, the sound incredulous. "You are such a shit talker."

He chuckles, the sounds washing over me.

He lifts his arm, "Come here."

"I'm still angry at you." I state.

His brows lift. "Well you can be angry closer."

"God, near death experiences make you bossy."

His lips tip up into a smirk. "Are you going to move?"

"I'm only doing this cause you almost died." I say as I climb up on the bed, settling next to him.

"Yeah, yeah." He mutters, curling him arm around me, "Believe what you want."

I settle in next to him as his thumb begins to draw circles on my hip, as if I'm the one that needs comforting.

"Why are you comforting me?" I ask, "you're the one that almost died."

"I feel fine."

I look up, staring into his face as he looks down  at me, and I narrow my eyes. "It's the drugs."

He grins. "Maybe."

"It is, nobody can be this calm after that ordeal."

He shrugs, curling me further into his body. "Sleep."

I breathe out slowly, resting my head on his uninjured side and close my eyes, the feel of Sebastian's chest moving up and down killing me to sleep, his heartbeat under my ears.

• • •

I sit up when the door open, Archer and Holland walking in.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, looking at my sister, quickly checking over her body to be sure she's okay.

She throws her hands up as if this is the second time someone has said it.

"I'm not an invalid."

"You're pregnant." I state, "and meant to be on bed rest."

"I'm pretty sure this is a good reason to leave the bed." She replies.

I huff and her mouth pops open.

"I'm allowed to go for walks. Am I did, to the car. And then from the car to here, and I'm in the hospital. This is the best place to be if anything happens."