28 | Lilac

I adjust the monitor in my grip, holding it close to my body as I descend the staircase, Andy walking in front of me with her other items.

Setting the motion down, I let Andy decide how she wants her workstation to look before walking for the stairs again, bypassing Liam as I do.

"We could so put a bed in the corner." I hear him say and I start walking up the stairs, stopping halfway when my ascent is blocked by a body.

Looking up into John's face, I look him up and down before speaking. "You're in my way."

"Oh, am I?" He looks down at me from the step above. "I didn't notice."

"Are you not going to move?"

I can almost see the thoughts forming in his mind, a mischievous glint entering dark depths and he lifts a taunting brow before stepping back one step, and I follow. He wait until I've settled on the step below him before he move back again, lifting a brow as if to dare me to follow.

And I do.

With each step he takes back, I take one up until he settles on the last one. If he wasn't a step higher than me, we would be chest to chest, too close to touching.

"What is this dance your doing?"

"I'm just walking, you're the one following."

I narrow my eyes at his cheeky answer before lifting a hand and shoving at his shoulder.

He stumbles over the last step and through the doorway, catching himself before he sprawls backwards and I match his grin, moving up that last step before settling in front of him.

He shakes his head, a smile in his words, "That was a bit harsh, don't you think, Angel?"

He takes a step forward, reaching past me and I hear the basement door slip shut and the whole time, all I do is watch him.

His eyes never leave mine as he crowds me back against the door, my back hitting the wood with a thump.

Lifting a hand, he pushes a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

"Now where were we last time we were in the basement?"

A laugh exits my lips and I relax against the door.

"I don't remember." I whisper, my eyes tracing his features to land on his lips.

His face comes impossibly closer, his nose almost touching mine.

"I think I do."

I lift a brow, "Oh, you're going to have to remind me."

"Well-"

"I'm a visual learner," I interrupts, tilting my chin up more to meet his face.

His eyes darken and he leans forward.

Footsteps echo up the stairs and I groan, my shoulders dropping as I hear our intruder walks closer.

John chuckles, "I'll be in the shower if you need me."

He steps back, turning for the staircase and walking up it.

I step away from the door just before it opens and Andy walks through.

She takes one look at my face before looking to where John walks, her eyes wide.

"Am I interrupting something?"

I don't answer, unsure of what the answer even is.

"Do I have to leave?" She whines slightly, her face serious. "I just set up."