Chapter Thirty-Six - First Day Back

~

Reece's POV

~

A scowl is almost permanently imprinted on my face as I walk into school on Monday morning. I haven't been this angry at the world for a while. But today I can literally feel the anger surging through my veins. I think everyone can see it as well, because it seems like people are purposefully staying out of my way as I walk down the hall.

I try not to glare at anyone specifically, but I can feel that my eyes are narrowed. I half-hope that no one thinks that I'm aiming my clear annoyance at them. Thanks to Layla I have learned that I don't really like being mean to everyone. She's always so nice to everyone and I like her, so if I like her so much, of course I'll want to try and be a little more like her.

My phone pings in my pocket just as I reach my locker and I stop, reaching down to grab it. It's a text notification from Sunshine. A small smile pulls at my lips for the first time that morning. I open it up and my heart aches. It's a meme saying that she misses me. She's the most adorable fúcking person in the world.

I pull up the meme I already have saved to send to her and sent it before slipping my phone back into my pocket and opening my locker.

We've been sending each other memes like that ever since I left and each time it makes my heart ache more. I can't tell if it's aching in the good way because I'm falling for her or in the bad way because I miss her so much. Probably both.

At this point I don't care too much if I'm pushing the best friends limit. I know that some of the things we do and say aren't just 'friendly'. But I can never tell if that's just how our friendship is or if maybe she likes me in that way. Either way, I have decided to just continue how we are and if I ever go too far and she tells me, I'll stop. I mean, I'll never do anything as stupid as kiss her. That's just asking for disaster. I just hope I don't slip up and tell her I like her by accident.

I start swapping a few of my books out for the day, my chest a little lighter now that I've spoken to Layla again. Suddenly, I hear my name being called from across the hall. With a frown, I turn only for my eyes to widen when someone launches themselves at me.

Stumbling slightly, I immediately tense, not wrapping my arms around the person as they hug me. They're blonde, I can see that. But I definitely do not recognise them. For a split second the blonde hair reminds me of Layla. But I quickly realise it isn't her based off of the girl's perfume and the way she hugs me. I feel at peace in Layla's presence. Whoever this is only makes me uncomfortable.

I quickly grab the person's arms and unwrap them from around my neck, taking a few steps back. I try not to be too rough and not come across too rude but I hate when people touch me. The only people that I allow to touch me like that are my family and my friends.