Chapter Forty-Two - Ice Cream Part Two

~

Layla's POV

~

"It's closing time, kiddos," The man behind the counter calls to us just as I'm leaning up to kiss Reece. I huff out a breath, glancing up at him quickly before sliding off of the piano bench.

"Thank you so much for letting us play. It's a beautiful piano." I tell the man with a smile as I start walking towards the exit. I feel Reece step up behind me, his hand falling into mine. I curl my fingers around his, holding him close.

The older man smiles at us, "You're very welcome. You kids made my night. That's one of my favourite songs that you played. Enjoy the rest of your night."

"You too!" I grin as I tug Reece out of the store, giggling to myself. I pull him around the corner and look up to see his eyebrows furrowed as he looks down at me. I don't say anything as I back myself against the wall behind me and lean up closer to him. "You still want that repayment?"

He grins, one arm curling around my waist as the other gently tilts my chin up to him. "Yes fúcking please."

When our lips meet again, it's more our smiles pressing together than a kiss. A few seconds pass of our laughter mixing together before I fully press my lips against his. All week I have been craving the feel of his lips against mine after I first got a taste on Tuesday. Three days later and it was so fúcking worth the wait.

His lips move so perfectly against mine. He slides his hand up behind my ear to cup the side of my neck and I feel like I might faint. Curling my arms over his shoulders, I lean almost all of my weight on him as he kisses me. He doesn't seem to mind at all, his other hand holding my waist tightly as I lean into him.

They talk about fireworks and butterflies when you kiss the love of your life. But with Reece it just feels like coming home. The moment our lips met I felt like I could finally breathe. Which is ironic because it's actually harder to breath while kissing. Kissing Reece feels more natural than anything I've ever done before. It's like we've already kissed a million times, when really it's only been twice.

When we eventually pull away from each other, I have no clue how much time has passed. It could have been seconds or hours, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

"I wish I hadn't waited so long. Knowing that we could have been doing that-" he emphasises with a grin, shaking his head, "-makes me wish that I had just told you how I feel."

I smile, moving a hand up to push his hair back from his face. "Well, now we have all the time in the world to do whatever we like. No more waiting, okay?"

"Sounds perfect to me."

We move away from the wall then and start walking down the sidewalk towards the ice cream parlour, hand-in-hand. It feels so normal to walk with him like this, even though I've hardly ever held his hand before.

The ice cream parlour is mostly empty when we walk in except for a little family consisting of a father and his two children in the corner of the shop. Reece and I walk up to the counter and look down at the various flavours. After looking at all the options, we end up buying the same thing we had the night of the party all those weeks ago.

"Hi, can I get an ice cream in a cone with one scoop of cookie dough and one scoop of chocolate fudge and another cone with one scoop of cookies and cream?" Reece asks the man behind the counter, his hand still firmly in mine. I try to insist on paying for mine once again, but Reece doesn't budge.

A few moments later, we leave the shop with ice creams in hand. We start walking before ending up at the same bench that we sat at last time. This time, I sit much closer to Reece and rest my head on his shoulder. Our hands are still connected between us.