25: I promise

"Skylar" someone yelled

I turned around to see a tall muscular boy with curly red hair walking towards me. His big brown eyes held a sense of mischief and he had a slight smirk on his lips that made me earie of him. I knew I was still vulnerable at this school and I had to take that into consideration every time someone spoke to me.

"Yes?" I asked, cringing at the waiver in my voice. I hated to sound weak and always tried my best to keep my voice steady and strong.

I've never seen this guy before and I'm confused why he is walking towards me. Most people at this school tend to leave me alone and if they do give me any attention it's not the good kind.

"I'm Mason Everest" he smiled

I searched my mind trying to remember if I've heard the name before. I think he's a senior on the basketball team but if I remember correct he only made it because his dad his some big shot sports reporter. I vaguely remember Luca saying something about Mason but I can't remember if it's a good or bad. I should buy a notebook and write everyone's name down and put a check if I can trust them or an x if I can't beside their name.

"Can I have a moment of your time?" He asked

I bite my lip in thought. It was the end of the day and there was no one around. I knew dad would be waiting to pick me up but I gave a slight nod anyways.

"I was wondering if you and Luca were dating"

My eyes widened in shock. Luca and I were friends and that's it. I didn't know what would make him think we were dating, Luca seems like a very social person that talks to almost every girl ever. Besides the only time I see him is at lunch, the better assumption would be that I was dating Marlee.

"Uh no we are not. We are friends. Why?" I asked tilting my head to the side.

Mason eyes brightened at my words and it seemed his day got better by my response. His smirk disappeared but I still wasn't completely comfortable around him, my gut told me not to trust him.

" Well I was wondering if you would like to go to the homecoming dance with me?"

My mouth dropped. I had never even talked to this guy before and he thought I would go to a dance with him. I'm not stupid. I wasn't the prettiest girl in school by any stretch so I knew there was something in it for him. Why was he interested in me? Was it a bet? Is there someone recording me right now?

"No" someone answered before I even had a chance to speak.

I whipped my head around to see the one and only Luca Reid walking down the hall, taking long strides towards us with a cold glare plastered on his face. If a glare could kill someone, this Mason dude would be six feet under.

"Mind your business Reid" Mason sneered, walking towards Luca, puffing out his chest.

I took a step back rubbing my head trying to keep away the forming headache. It tends to do this after a long day and arguing nor yelling helps. I really couldn't deal with two alpha males right now.

"Skylar is my friend Everest. I'm not going to let her go with you"

I was confused with what was happening. I didn't need Luca fighting my battles or saying who I could or couldn't go out with, but he has been around these people his whole life. I am still new and I don't know what these peoples motives are so I had to trust Luca's judgement, at least for now until I can come up with one on my own. Besides I was going to say no anyways.

" She can decide for herself. You don't own her Reid" Mason snapped back at Luca

Luca's eyes tightened more and his glare becoming even more menacing. I was glad I wasn't on the receiving end of it. Luca's breathing was heavy and I noticed his hand form into a fist.