4: Isn't better good?

I sat on my bed scrolling through MBPA's website. They had all kinds of students smiling and doing something that involved academics an student life, one with them having bunsen burners in front, one reading a book in a very pretty library, and a group of boys smiling in their football jerseys.

I looked up when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in" I mumbled, know if was one of my parents.

My mother came in with a pan and yellow oven mitts on.

"Would you like some cookies?"

I gave her a smile and nodded.

I never gave up food.

It's had been two days since we had our conversation. I had been doing my own research on the school. I had to admit that the school definitely had good connections.

" How's it coming?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't want to admit that I was leaning towards yes in case I got their hopes up. After calming down I understood why they did it. My current school is not great and MBPA is certainly well known. I also realized that no matter where I go in life, I would have to deal with people I don't like. That's just the reality of life.

I picked up the gooey chocolate chip cookie, moaning when I took a bite.

"You have four days Sky." she said softly

"I know" I mumbled closing the computer, mouth full.

She sighed, sitting down on my bed. I scooted over to make room for her, but she put her arm around my shoulder, pulling me close.

"What's holding you back, besides moving schools?" she whispered

I shrugged my shoulders. I knew why, but I knew what she would say.

"Skylar, talk to me"

I reached over and grabbed another cookie. I didn't want to talk to her about how I didn't like the people.

" It's just-" I started but put the cookie in my mouth so I didn't have to talk.

"What?"

" Those people are not like me. They haven't had to work a day in their lives because their parents have money. They are jerks who look down upon people lesser than them"

I heard her breath in before sitting up straight.

"Maybe but those people exist in real life. You are going to have to learn to deal with them."

I didn't respond. She was right but I wasn't going to let her know that.

"Don't let some stuck up rich kids keep you from getting the best education you can"

I nodded my head before she gave me a hug.

"I love you, honey"

"I love you too, mom"

I watched her walk out of the room but before closing the door she stuck her head back in.

" Clean up, your aunt and uncle are coming over for dinner."

"ughh" I groaned

***

All six of us were sitting around the table. Nelly was sitting beside me eating Mac and Cheese while the rest of us was eating chicken and broccoli casserole.

" So Skylar, I heard about the good news"

I looked over at my Uncle Rick giving him a shrug.

" Are you going to going to take it?" My Aunt Lisa asked

I quickly took a bite of my food so I would have an excuse not to talk. I hoped my parents would answer for me but they were silent.

"No I haven't, I still have a few more days" I replied

My Aunt Lisa would find a way to judge anyone. Even though she and Dad are brother and sister they were nothing alike.

" Well, why not? That would be very selfish not to take it. Your parents have worked very hard to give you this privileged life"

I couldn't believe she had the audacity to say that. I was the one who worked hard. Privileged? My parents live paycheck to paycheck to afford a roof over our heads.

" I am very grateful for them" I said threw gritted teeth "I just want to make sure the school is right for me"

"Skylar has worked very hard. This is all her doing, Lisa" my dad added.

"Of course she has." Lisa answered with a fake smile "she is a very smart girl"

There was no more conversation for a few minutes. All six of us ate our food quietly.

" What are you going to take?" Nelly asked

I looked over at her with a soft smile. Leave it to her to break the awkward tension.

"I may go to a new school," I told her

"Why? What's wrong with your school now?"

" Nothing. This school is just better"

I laughed softly at her confused face. Her dark eyebrows squinched together and her lips making a pouty face is adorable.

"Isn't better good?"

I heard my dad chuckle at his niece.

"It is" I nodded

"Then why wouldn't you go there?" She asked. She still had a confused look on her face.

" Better is good, but it may not be right" I replied pinching her cheek

She giggled at my touch, squirming in her seat.

" So if you go it may be wrong" she asked

"That's right"

"But couldn't not going be more wrong?"

I hadn't thought about it that way. I just assumed that I had a higher chance of regretting going than I would not.

"Yeah I guess that could be true"  I mumbled

Leave it to the six-year-old to have better advice then the adults.