Chapter 5: Flashback

It's day two of staying with the Greens. They are a sweet and supportive family. I wish I had that growing up. Matt has been trying his best to flirt with me. Right now, he is staring at my butt as I try to screw in a lightbulb. I had an agreement with Amy to help around the farm and the house as a way of paying rent. I also get food and clothes in return.

"Could you quit staring and actually hold the ladder?" I felt it wobble a couple of times while Matt checked me out.

"I was not staring and sure thing."

We are currently in the barn, and it is hotter than what I was used to back home. I wipe the sweat off my forehead as the ladder wobbles. "And, done.... ah!" My foot slips and I fall from the ladder. I land in some very muscular arms. I look up and see Matt's stunning blue eyes. He is fine; I think to myself.

"I think you have a bit of drool.... right, here." He says playfully as he wipes my cheek.

"Ha-ha. Very funny."

He puts me down as I brush off my jeans. "So.... how is Mallory handling all of this?" He gestures around the barn.

"Well, she is used to it by now. The running and leaving. I do have to say this is the first time she has been on a farm and seen a horse."

"Maybe we could all go riding together, if that's okay with you?"

"Of course."

"And maybe we could have dinner sometime.... just the two of us?"

"I would but I leave in five days, remember? Plus, I'm pretty sure if I stayed any longer your mom would want me to pay the rent in cash and not chores."

"You got a point there." He pauses. "But.... I know I only need one day to sweep you off your feet. Even though you already fell for me." He says with a wink.

"Wow! Mr. Smooth, that was a good one, but no thanks."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Because? Because what?"

Because I am afraid that if I get too attached.... I won't want to leave. Because, I am scared that if you knew the real me, you wouldn't like me anymore. "Because I don't want Mallory to get attached." That was also true, if she gets too close to Matt and found out that we would be leaving soon, she will have a total meltdown.

"Okay, okay. I get it. But one day Tessa, I will go on a date with you."

"In your dreams."

We walked back inside the house. Mallory is playing with Elizabeth; she is an amazing babysitter. I walk upstairs and go take a shower. After I shower and get dressed, I go back downstairs to join Mallory and Elizabeth on the couch.

"So..." Elizabeth says. "You and Matt?"

"Just friends."

"But you want to be more than that?"

"Maybe....but I can't tell If he likes me as more than a friend."

"He does and you should go on a date with him."

"I can't."

"It's because you're leaving, isn't it?"

"Yeah."

"I wish you would just let us in and tell us what is really going on. Maybe we could help you, or we could tell the cops-"

"No." Last time I went to the cops, they returned me back to my adoptive parents. Apparently, they had some sort of deal with them. "I don't trust cops."